VOGONS

First post, by Darren

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I'm having trouble getting my sound card to work on a Windows 98 machine. When I am installing it, windows says it needs a file called: Mspqm.sys, apparently, it's not on the win98 CD, or XP CD. I hear it's on the ME/2000 CD(s), but i don't have those. Searched the net for the file, too, but i couldn't find it. If someone could plz post the file here, or PM it to me, i'd be really thankful. Again, the file's name is:

MSPQM.SYS.

Reply 1 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the file you mention must belong to the utility CD for your sound card. How did you install it? Maybe the required files are packed and you need to run a setup.exe or install.exe instead of directly installing the hardware via Windows hardware manager.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

MSPQM.SYS = Microsoft Streaming Quality Manager Proxy. Part of MS DirectX I believe.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 4, by Darren

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you very much, MiniMax. I haven't had time to see if my sound card will work now, though. At first, I searched the .cab files of DirectX 8.1, but was unable to find it. Afterward, I d/l'd DirectX 9.0b, and the file was inside the dxnt.cab file. However, it was NOT in ANY .cab files of v8.1 including its dxnt.cab file. 'Tis strange, no? Furthermore, why would Win98 ask for a file that's apparently part of NT, i wonder?

Reply 4 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I am as confused as you, Darren. Are you sure the driver you are trying to install is for Win98?

The sound card driver - is that one you have unpacked into a temporary directory before the installation? Do you see any INF-files there? Do you see any references to MSPQM.SYS in the INF-files (or any other files)? Perhaps there is a comment explaining why it is needed?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions