VOGONS

First post, by Mister98XPee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Out of the box on PCEM Win 98 SE NFS works right away but on Win98 OEM it flashes and crashes with no error messages generated.

I tried to post this on PCEM but got banned for 'spamming' when this is about troubleshooting. I find that ironic! 'Ministry of Truth' era it seems is in full swing you can't even ask troubleshooting questions on an emulator forum anymore. What next? I hope here works but it seems my threads get ignored so I wonder if these forums are polluted by AI bots hence Dead Internet Theory.

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You didn't link your posts from pcem.
Are you asking about getting this game working on real hardware? If so this needs to be in the correct forum section.
You didn't post any specs and driver versions and game versions or modifications.
You only have 4 posts here and two of those are for rare games.
We don't care for controversies or conspiracy theories here, go elsewhere for that. Pcem is its own forum and has nothing to do with vogons.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by henk717

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In one case you mention Windows 98 SE and in one case you do not mention the SE part.

So the first step is to look at what we are dealing with here, are both versions the second edition? If not then its likely that Windows 98 being older is the issue and you may have to source some other updates.

If it is both the Windows 98 SE varient it would make less sense to have such a big difference. I never ran into specific issues relating to the OEM version myself although I personally usually use the rarer select version which in ways seems inferior to the OEM one.

So the second question would be what your source of the installations are. Are these both installed by yourself from the original cd's or did you download hard drive images from the internet?

Reply 3 of 4, by Mister98XPee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
henk717 wrote on 2022-12-18, 03:04:
In one case you mention Windows 98 SE and in one case you do not mention the SE part. […]
Show full quote

In one case you mention Windows 98 SE and in one case you do not mention the SE part.

So the first step is to look at what we are dealing with here, are both versions the second edition? If not then its likely that Windows 98 being older is the issue and you may have to source some other updates.

If it is both the Windows 98 SE varient it would make less sense to have such a big difference. I never ran into specific issues relating to the OEM version myself although I personally usually use the rarer select version which in ways seems inferior to the OEM one.

So the second question would be what your source of the installations are. Are these both installed by yourself from the original cd's or did you download hard drive images from the internet?

Thanks for being more on the point with me: The first question is yes both versions are Second Editions. I was trying to see the difference between OEM and SE Retail editions using ISO's from you know where to see how different they appear and it seems quite a bit actually. I thought mentioning retail vs OEM was enough. I have Autism so I get wording confused a lot.

I was emulating Socket 7 machines with Windows 98 SE both Retail and OEM editions. I was using the ones from REMOVED for which the OEM did install but for some reason NFS starts to open but stops where as Win98SE Retail works right away without trouble or any kind of fiddling about. I am wondering if Win98SE OEM would give this kind of fit on a real machine? My host computer is Windows 10 64 I7 8th gen.

Anyway I can upload a short video of showing launching NFS3 in both OS's to show you the differences?

Last edited by DosFreak on 2024-01-09, 01:29. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 4 of 4, by Mister98XPee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2022-12-18, 02:18:
You didn't link your posts from pcem. Are you asking about getting this game working on real hardware? If so this needs to be in […]
Show full quote

You didn't link your posts from pcem.
Are you asking about getting this game working on real hardware? If so this needs to be in the correct forum section.
You didn't post any specs and driver versions and game versions or modifications.
You only have 4 posts here and two of those are for rare games.
We don't care for controversies or conspiracy theories here, go elsewhere for that. Pcem is its own forum and has nothing to do with vogons.

I mentioned PCEM forums so people won't waste their time over there if they expect to get actual help: It's great if you post real hardware talk and programming stuff but emulation talk is practically dead. I'm not into deep programming like that so they didn't look kindly about it and I hope this forum isn't the same. I'll try to mind my P's and Q's so this will be the only time I mention the PCEM forums.

It's a dead forum until they bring out their new PCEM V18 which usually they do once a year so they are overdue I got banned from even mentioning using an ISO as they only want real CD's which is a shame since ISO works better and I can't get the real CD's half the time due to unavailability. I don't trust Ebay for certain stuff.