VOGONS

Floppy Drive Lubrication

Topic actions

First post, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I just got my hands on a pretty dirty 5 1/4 inch drive , I was just wondering if I should grease the movement rail and stepper rail with lithium grease?
Or would something like silicon grease be better?

Because it looks like there's a fair bit of plastic on the head assembly shaft and I've heard lithium grease might react with plastics ,
but maybe there's metal inside the bit that sits on the rail?
Just wondering if anyone knows.

20210920_150601.jpg

Reply 1 of 13, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hear vasiline is good for lubricating ones floppy.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-09-20, 06:44. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 13, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AppleSauce wrote on 2021-09-20, 05:29:
So I just got my hands on a pretty dirty 5 1/4 inch drive , I was just wondering if I should grease the movement rail and steppe […]
Show full quote

So I just got my hands on a pretty dirty 5 1/4 inch drive , I was just wondering if I should grease the movement rail and stepper rail with lithium grease?

Because it looks like there's a fair bit of plastic on the head assembly shaft and I've heard lithium grease might react with plastics ,

20210920_150601.jpg

i think both are fine for plastics, the key being to clean as much as possible first and then it should last many more years

Reply 3 of 13, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2021-09-20, 06:43:
So I just got my hands on a pretty dirty 5 1/4 inch drive , I was just wondering if I should grease the movement rail and steppe […]
Show full quote

20210920_150601.jpg

i think both are fine for plastics, the key being to clean as much as possible first and then it should last many more years

Okay so I cleaned the read head and lubed the rails , the drives not reading disks or formatting 🙁
Is it possible the drive is a dud?

20210920_185014.jpg

Reply 5 of 13, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I just got my hands on a pretty dirty 5 1/4 inch drive.

Depending on how the mods feel about this thread, it has the potential to be legendary.

Reply 7 of 13, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good, see to that the drive is ready for the floppy prior to first insertion in a long time.

Reply 8 of 13, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So like , if the disks wont read does that mean the read head is like busted then?

Reply 9 of 13, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can try to run the IMD Alignment/Test option. Does the head assembly move when seeking a specific track?

Reply 10 of 13, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMobRules wrote on 2021-09-20, 19:07:

You can try to run the IMD Alignment/Test option. Does the head assembly move when seeking a specific track?

Where do you do that?

Also theres this post
5.25 Floppy Not Reading

mentioning a drive similar to mine , and something about a shugart interface?
About it being similar but not compatible with ibm pcs?

"Huh, weird that it has DS1-DS4 selection, not DS0-DS3. But in this case DS2 is correct setting for B drive, and probably won't work otherwise anyway - having 4 selections mean it's a Shugart too. It's set to DC so might just work, try it as a 360k drive as it seems not to have HD mode either but I can't tell for sure. If it doesn't work I'd have to look up the rest of the jumpers."

Maybe that's the problem then?

s-l1600 (58).jpg

Reply 11 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The drive is a 1.2MB. It has some missing jumpers pads but is listed in the Bitsavers archive of Panasonic drives under 1.2 MB JU-475-3 C08 and PANASONIC JU-475-3 C20.
Yes the DS2 should be as it is. See here: http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/panasonic/floppy … .25-jumpers.pdf
Very possible the drive will work but if you have not cleaned the parts and re-lubed there is no way to tell or align the heads since the motors/actuators might be not able to work proper...just my opinion

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 12 of 13, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-09-21, 03:20:

The drive is a 1.2MB. It has some missing jumpers pads but is listed in the Bitsavers archive of Panasonic drives under 1.2 MB JU-475-3 C08 and PANASONIC JU-475-3 C20.
Yes the DS2 should be as it is. See here: http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/panasonic/floppy … .25-jumpers.pdf
Very possible the drive will work but if you have not cleaned the parts and re-lubed there is no way to tell or align the heads since the motors/actuators might be not able to work proper...just my opinion

Ah whoops , its a JU-475-4 , I linked the wrong picture.

s-l1600 (57).jpg

And yeah I did grease up the rails.
and I cleaned the read head but I noticed there was a brown streak on it.
The drive is super dusty someone just left it sitting in a cupboard or something.

Reply 13 of 13, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SHE LIVES! , hokay so turns out the drive wasn't cleaned properly , there was some brown crud on the read head and it wasn't coming off easily , I didn't want to damage the heads so I went pretty light on it first time around , this time though having nothing to lose , decided to do my best to get the crud off , it took alot of cleaning , to the point I was sure id damage the drive , but after putting it back in my pc it suddenly detected the drive was drive A instead of B for some reason so I had to turn swap floppies off. After that I managed to format and then write 2 disks , so it seems to be working now.