VOGONS

First post, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just for giggles I registered a new domain name, setup dynamic DNS, and pointed it at a PCjr running a test version of the mTCP web server. Well, that was 3+ weeks ago. Right now is has been running 577 hours straight. It's not a terribly busy server, but once in a while it gets a burst of activity; I have it set to beep when it gets a connection so I can hear how busy it is. ;-0

Current stats:

• 577 hours of run time
  • TCP/IP connections: 42427
  • Objects (individual files served): 48090
  • TCP packets sent/received: 1224963 / 1110131
  • All packets sent/received: 1900911 / 1995256

You can see up-to-date stats by hitting the PCjr directly at http://brutmanlabs.org/status . If you visit the main page there is an actual picture of beast on it. I plan on leaving it up until the fan noise drives me crazy or the power goes out. (I need to swap the standard 38 year old fan with a more modern Noctua. I really want to put it on a UPS too.)

The machine is basically stock. It has a jrIDE adapter, a 720KB floppy drive (not really needed for this), and a Xircom PE3 adapter on the parallel port. The parallel port was modified to be bi-directional to help the TCP/IP speeds. The rest of the machine is the same .. ye olde 8088 running at 4.77Mhz.

-Mike

Reply 1 of 11, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice job that's a fun sounding project. I had two PCJrs when I was younger I really miss them and wish I hadn't sold them off had a lot of fun playing dos games on it.

Reply 2 of 11, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was able to connect to this from a 286 running windows 3.1 and NCSA Mosaic 1.0

Reply 4 of 11, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That page is a joke, right? I read the code they posted but I can't tell if they really wrote something in assembly language that works or if the data statements are just for show.

Edit: Definitely a joke. Read the BASIC code they have posted. 😀

Reply 5 of 11, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mbbrutman wrote on 2022-06-03, 22:57:

That page is a joke, right? I read the code they posted but I can't tell if they really wrote something in assembly language that works or if the data statements are just for show.

Edit: Definitely a joke. Read the BASIC code they have posted. 😀

It is definitely a joke. If there might be a way to make some kind of server from this machine, there is no way to make use of cassette tape as graphic files storage device. 🙂

Reply 6 of 11, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By the way, if you'll give more information how to set up a server on PCjr, it will be fun to try it on HP 200LX - a fanless pocketsize version of PC XT machine. 🙂

Reply 9 of 11, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Up to 750 hours now ...

Except for possibly running out of disk space or losing power, I'm not too worried about it running indefinitely.

Reply 10 of 11, by doogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I gave it a "beep". 😀 I love these projects - good job.

Reply 11 of 11, by Shnur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice project! interesting if somebody could launch server on NES 😀