Topic actions

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Apparently, this was a thing.

http://www.novell.com/documentation/ncl_sle_1 … a/h5782c3z.html

Can someone who knows how to do NetWare things make a video of what this experience is like?

Reply 2 of 11, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, the original form - ie. in the DOS client - is just a specific beep via PC Speaker...

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 3 of 11, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, yes. But what kind of beep? This is very important information.

Reply 4 of 11, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The windows client plays a WAV file. I don't know what OS/2 does. I don't think the Mac client runs login scripts so no phasers there.

If you want more NetWare info, I've accumulated a pile of screenshots and notes while exploring it in depth several months back including the clients for DOS, Windows 3.x, 9x, NT/2000/XP, OS/2 and MacOS. Plus network booting which I discussed here.

Reply 5 of 11, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Glorious phasers! Thank you for sharing. 😀

Reply 6 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was this anyhow related to Netware's NetWars game?
I played that on Novell DOS moons ago! 😊

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 11, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not that I know of though I've never played NetWars (seems to only come with Personal NetWare or NetWare Lite - NetWare 3.11-4.11 doesn't include it as far as I can tell). So I guess its just a sound that the NetWare login script processor (on windows at least) can play - I guess to indicate errors or that the login script has finished running. Or perhaps just for fun.

Reply 9 of 11, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, it wasn’t in the Novell certification tests questions but I do remember playing with these sound during setup of the Netware.

Reply 10 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-07-30, 19:59:

But what kind of beep? This is very important information.

Here is the sound of firing four phasers with NetWare's LOGIN.EXE v3.76 (circa 1994) captured in DOSBox.

login_phasers.mp3

Reply 11 of 11, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That was definitely worth all the trouble. Thank you, ripsaw8080. 😀