VOGONS

First post, by Lynxman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My NEC 4x CD changer, although cool, is unbearably slow. For the heck of it I decided to try to integrate three old laptop IDE optical drives in one 5-1/4" bay. It fits and works much better than a CD changer. I had to rewire the transposers to give slave and master. The three CD-audio outputs are connected to the sound card via some resistors to mix them together. I also designed a new triple transposer that will hopefully make it more streamlined. The housing is 3D printed and painted in IBM grey.

Reply 1 of 14, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like it! Will you share the design files?

Reply 2 of 14, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's looks awesome!!! This is a serious cool project thanks for sharing it with us!!

Reply 5 of 14, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome, thanks!😃👍

Reply 6 of 14, by Martin85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow! Great project! Also interested in some walkthrough of how you got the idea and how did you make it... In video or photo form...

Reply 8 of 14, by Lynxman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the PCBs. I had made four errors with the middle drive connections. After fixing it works fine. I'll have to reorder and check the new PCBs too. They identify as slave and master like they should with the Panasonic drives I'm using. I can't find any supplier for JAE connectors like that, probably an obsolete part by now since everything is SATA, but cheap single slot interpowers cost just $3-5 from Electromyne so I scavenged these from some of those.

It's installed so I attached a screenshot of the 3D model as it looks outside the case.

Reply 10 of 14, by Lynxman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not allowed to use PM's as I'm too new here.

I don't intend to make these for sale, just put them out for others to make for themselves.

Reply 11 of 14, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's a pretty cool idea.
And what the heck is an Amiga 5600? 😀 And what keyboard is that?

Reply 12 of 14, by Lynxman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HanSolo wrote on 2022-11-21, 18:16:

That's my 3D printed case for modern hardware. It's got a Ryzen 5 5600g. The keyboard is an Arrogant Quake mechanical keyboard with retro keycaps. It's my new CAD workstation.

Reply 13 of 14, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lynxman wrote on 2022-11-22, 16:37:
HanSolo wrote on 2022-11-21, 18:16:

That's my 3D printed case for modern hardware. It's got a Ryzen 5 5600g. The keyboard is an Arrogant Quake mechanical keyboard with retro keycaps. It's my new CAD workstation.

This... is...
either heresy or pretty cool. I can't decide 😁