VOGONS

chro.mono DOS port

Topic actions

First post, by thp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As second entry for the DOS Game Jame June 2023, I've ported my game chro.mono to DOS. I didn't get the audio working (DMA and DPMI are not my friends) and didn't have time to optimize the rendering to work on older machines, but if you have a fast CPU, I'm sure it will run well (there's a FPS counter you can activate to compare performance).

It uses a custom software rasterizer, but it hasn't really been optimized for retro machines, so this is probably best consumed on a "fast" DOS retro PC. You also need a mouse driver installed.

This uses standard Mode 0x13, and dithering to get the game's content down to 256 colors.

If you like the game, a version with audio and higher-resolution graphics (ha!) is available on Itch.io as well as on the iOS App Store.

Edit: Version 2.4.1 which fixes timer-related issues and should provide much smoother animations.
Edit: Version 2.4.2 adds an alternative circle rendering method that is faster on slow CPUs.

Itch.io: https://thp.itch.io/chromono2

Reply 1 of 1, by thp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Updated version 2.4.2 in the original post with the following changes:

• Alternative circle rendering ("Fast circles" option)
  • Add option to enable/disable dithering for fast circles

The default rendering style (slow, but nice) looks like this:

Screenshot from 2023-06-22 11-38-10.png

The "fast circles" option (can be toggled in the lower right corner menu) looks like this:

Screenshot from 2023-06-22 11-38-02.png

And finally, "fast circles" with dithering enabled is like the middle ground, and helps distinguish colors:

Screenshot from 2023-06-22 11-37-52.png

In DOSBox, this allows the frame rate to double in the main menu screen, so it's a worthy trade-off for slow CPUs.