VOGONS

First post, by retep_110

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am quite happy with my off the shelf hp socket 370 800mhz rig and a rivia tnt 2. But when playing arround with games from the year 2000 I figured out that things are not running as smooth as I have hopped for.

I am also helping a buddy right now to get his own first reto gaming pc and in the thread that was decicated to his problem a Pentium 4 system was recommended to cater his needs.

The whole p4 talk reminded to give a old p4 family rig a possible second chance as gaming rig for the more advanced windows 98 games.

The specs are

Intel Mainboard s478 I8845 ATX
Intel Pentium 4 2.66 with a 533 FSB

Seagate HD Baracuda ATA 40 GB

and medicore AGP Graphics Ati Expert 200pro.

Could such system minus the graphics cards of course serve as win 98 game system for 2000 and 2001.

The graphics card need to go of course to make space for something like a gf 4 or 5.

But what do you guys think in general about such system as a basis for high end 2000 and 2001 games?

Reply 1 of 12, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just found your thread while browsing around randomly but Phil did a Video about a P4 recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji2e9OK1tPk

It is slower P4 than the one yu are referring too but it might still be useful

I did not even know that the p4 was seen as a failure back.

I was a P4 user back then, first I had 1.6 MHz and later I had a 2.6 GHz variant and never had any issues with them. Neither in Win 98 nor in Xp later.

Anyway, wish you good luck in giving this old rig second life.

Reply 2 of 12, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems like an ideal candidate for late 9x/early XP gaming to me.

My P4 1.8GHz Northwood did me proud overclocked from 400 to 533fsb (so 2.4GHz clock) back in the day. It would have been coupled with a Ti4400 for the most part.

Reply 4 of 12, by retep_110

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerry wrote on 2023-06-15, 20:29:

a P4 at well over 2Ghz and a gf 4 - i'd say it qualifies as "win 98 game system for 2000 and 2001" and likely a bit more too

Yes I hope so 🤣. But seriously when playing around with Deus Ex on my p3 800 mhz I learned you cannot take the recommended system specs at face value.

That's why I want to go really overboard spec wise with 2000 and 2001 games . With a p4 system at my disposal I can do that easily.

@all the prices of the gpu that might come in handy my needs (geforce 4200, g fx series or radeon 9600) are rather similar so I could pick any of them.

Do you guys have a favourite among the video cards I have mentioned? If so which one would you recommend?

Last edited by retep_110 on 2023-06-16, 07:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 12, by retep_110

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2023-06-16, 06:58:

P4 is ok so long as you don't care about Glide titles. Not a big deal for most but don't go sticking your voodoo3/5 into that agp slot, even if it fits.

Thanks for the info. In general i would be interested in glide titles but if I get lucky to find 3dfx card at a decent price and that's a big if I would use it in my hp p3 800mhz system.

Using a Voodoo card in a p4 never crossed my mind. Glide is late 90s thing after all and for late 90s games the hp pentium 3 is the system to go.

The p4 should be used as 2000 and beyond gaming system.

@RandomStranger Expanding the potential range of video cards is good idea. It did not crossed my mind to be honest but you are right of course. With P4 2.6 it should be possible to use more powerful cards.

Reply 8 of 12, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There were still plenty of glide supporting titles released after 2000.

One of my favorites: Clive Barker's Undying

The voodoo5 was released in mid 2000.

Plenty of good reasons to have a post 2000 pc with Glide support. Its why I have two PCs for that era: athlon xp with v5 and a p4 with fx5950u.

Reply 9 of 12, by retep_110

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2023-06-16, 07:10:
There were still plenty of glide supporting titles released after 2000. […]
Show full quote

There were still plenty of glide supporting titles released after 2000.

One of my favorites: Clive Barker's Undying

The voodoo5 was released in mid 2000.

Plenty of good reasons to have a post 2000 pc with Glide support. Its why I have two PCs for that era: athlon xp with v5 and a p4 with fx5950u.

Was not aware of that. That's good to know then in case I might be lucky on day to get nice nice 3dfx card. Clive Barker's Undying seems to be interesting game btw. I have not played it so far but I am really curious to try it out .

Reply 10 of 12, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Basically unreal and quake2 were released in 1998, and loads of games were released into the 2000s based on those engines, bringing their glide support with them. Heck even quake3 supported glide with minigl, voodoo5 6000 runs it real sweet 😁

Reply 12 of 12, by retep_110

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2023-06-16, 09:21:

Basically unreal and quake2 were released in 1998, and loads of games were released into the 2000s based on those engines, bringing their glide support with them. Heck even quake3 supported glide with minigl, voodoo5 6000 runs it real sweet 😁

That's really cool. This means that the 3dfx cards would be very good for many games I am into over quite long time frame. The V5 is nice card for sure but one I just can dream off. I would already consider myself lucky if i will get voodoo 3 for a low 3 diggit sum at some point in the future. I keep my eyes open every day. i might get lucky one day. My ultimate 3dfx dream system would be voodoo 2 sli rig but getting 2 voodoo 2 is even more difficult than getting a v3 at a good price. So I will focus my hunt for the V3 series.

wiibur wrote on 2023-06-16, 09:53:

Your P4 paired with a DirectX 9 GPU like the x700 mentioned earlier can utilize nglide to easily run those later glide games, too.

Thanks for your recommendation. That would also be good and cheaper alternative to original voodoo card. I will look into the x700 series asap.