VOGONS

First post, by kentosama

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm new to Vogons! I recently acquired a Dell Dimension L500R in good working order in order to have a Windows98 computer allowing me to use programming tools of the time and also enjoy playing DOS/Windows games. I'm also keen to rediscover the whole world of computing, which I find fascinating.

The PC is equipped with a Pentium III 550Mhz, 128MB SDRAM and a 40GB IDE hard disk.

To play, I bought a Radeon 7000 64MB PCI. The choice was relatively limited, as there's very little availability in PCI. I hesitated between a Rage PRO II for its compatibility with DOS games, but I preferred the Radeon 7000 for its ability to play Windows98 games, notably Quake II.

Unfortunately, as the PC has no AGP, I hope I won't be disappointed with the performance of a PCI port.

The motherboard has no sound card, so I picked up a Sound Blaster! at a reasonable price for a good sound experience in games; Sound Blaster Awe 32/64 are rather expensive and not very frequent in PCI, so I preferred to fall back on this model, which I liked at the time.

Could you tell me if my configuration is suitable for playing DOS and Windows98 games in good conditions?

I'm mainly worried about DOS game compatibility, as I'd like to play most clicks & points, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Quake, Theme Park...

I'd also like to know if it's better to get a CRT or if a 4:3 LCD could do the trick, or even offer more comfort. I'm used to playing on older consoles and prefer a CRT, but PCs generally use a higher resolution, so an LCD might be a good thing.

Thanks for your answers.

Reply 1 of 1, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kentosama wrote on 2023-06-19, 06:55:

I'd also like to know if it's better to get a CRT or if a 4:3 LCD could do the trick, or even offer more comfort. I'm used to playing on older consoles and prefer a CRT, but PCs generally use a higher resolution, so an LCD might be a good thing.

Richtige Monitoren habe Roehren!
That said, I compromised on a SXGA LCD at home (one with tubes - the CCFLs 😜) and it's fine at native resolution, as well at XGA or less when standing back, but when you'll see "Windows Classic" you'll be surprised at how much you can fit in even 800x600 when you're not wasting pixels on borders, padding for touchscreen users and ripping off iOS7/Material or double sizing everything to make things readable on a stupid hi-DPI screen 😁

In other words - while you could already buy (and take advantage of) SXGA and higher pixel count monitors at the time (for a price), mass market models usually topped at 1024x768@70 or 75 kHz and many benefited from stepping down to 800x600, which until a few years into the XP age was not a significant handicap 😀

As for the computer in general, rearrange the specs a bit and it's not excessively different from the one I used between 2005 and the early 2010s (P3 800/133, 128 MB though I upgraded to 378 or whatever not much later, 10 GB, Radeon 7000 AGP which I only got "free" for more or less placebo improvements on RAM performance compared to integrated which obviously competes with the CPU for access), and it definitely satisfied me with excellent DOS/3.1/95 through XP compatibility!