VOGONS

First post, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I almost finished building my daily driver based on socket 754. It is intended for dual boot W98SE/WXP, based on board MSI K8N Neo V2 with chipset nForce3 250.

The CPU is an AMD Turion 64 ML-30, in the original at a frequency of 1,600 MHz. RAM is Kingston with Elpida chips 2x1 GB DDR400.
I used GeForce 6800 128MB from MSI as a graphics card, the sound is provided by first-generation Audigy from Creative.
For W98SE is dedicated IDE Seagate Barracuda 40GB, WXP have SATA WD Enterprise Re with 500GB, in the future I plan to switch to SSD.

The entire lineup is housed in a silver Soprano case by Thermaltake, peripheral devices (speakers, keyboards, monitors) have also been adapted to this (as possible).

Build doesn't abound in anything special, it's a run-of-the-mill routine and it's full of hard trade-offs:

1) although the graphics card is the last officially supported in the W98, the need for newer drivers makes compatibility with some older games problematic as well as missing some features of older DX APIs

2) thanks to the nForce chipset used, no DOS compatible PCI sound card works, so the only way to achieve audio in DOS games that work on the set is to emulate SB16 using drivers to Audigy

On the other hand, thanks to patches from R.Loew, the entire setup also works under the W98SE without any problems including RAM and SATA HDDs.

In the W98SE it is an above-average performance set, it is not so hot under the WXP, although the CPU can be overclocked and the GPU unlocked. K-Meleon does allow access to the internet, but as much as it tries honestly to deal with today's obese web, there is no great comfort, and you need to steel yourself with a sufficient amount of patience.

The final challenge will be to find space in my PC corner.

Attachments

• BSDT1.jpg
    Filename
    BSDT1.jpg
    File size
    162.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • BSDT2.jpg
    Filename
    BSDT2.jpg