VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by koraxcz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to extract midi-like music from an old DOS game "Star Trek: Judgment Rites". The music files are not directly accessible, but seem to be inside game archive files which are extracted or somehow opened while the game is running. The files are of these types: .Dir, .Run, .001, .002, .003. Does anybody experienced have a guess how I could extract the contents?

Reply 1 of 3, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
koraxcz wrote on 2023-06-25, 09:25:

I would like to extract midi-like music from an old DOS game "Star Trek: Judgment Rites". The music files are not directly accessible, but seem to be inside game archive files which are extracted or somehow opened while the game is running. The files are of these types: .Dir, .Run, .001, .002, .003. Does anybody experienced have a guess how I could extract the contents?

Hi,
I do not know the game and I have just looked at it but I have noticed that in each level(?) related subdirectory (e.g. LIGHT, MADNESS, NOMAN etc.)
there are files with .AD, .GM, .MT, .OPL extensions. These most likely denotes Midis for different synths such as Adlib, General Midi, MT-32 and OPL3.
If you look inside these files the file header is very similar to .XMI (Extended Midi) file format, but not quite the same.
http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php?title=XMI
XMI has the FORM section right at the beginning, but these files contain the FORM section some bytes later. Both contain the XDIRINFO section but the de facto XMI standard XMIDFORM section is missing from these files and you can find only XMIDz...
So I'm 99% sure that these files contain the Midi music data, but it seems that in a somewhat non-standard format.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 3 of 3, by DeathAdderSF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
koraxcz wrote on 2023-06-25, 10:41:

what did you use to browse the .DIR files?

There's a tool here...

https://oezmen.eu/gameresources/

It's called TREKEXT2.

Cruise by Diskman Presents: filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!