VOGONS

First post, by Archon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, have you tried Willem programmer (PCB5.0T-2022) with 28x series EEPROMs? I got a problem when trying to erase or program the chips. It reads them with ease but when it comes to program them, it instantly reports the error. I've followed some instructions found over the internet but none of them helps me a bit. I've also tried to play with jumpers with no success. PCB5.0 is connected with my winxp PC through LPT port, powered with 12V power supply (USB cable gives no difference when connected along with or without PS).

I've tried debugging it a bit, and saw that when it comes to program/erase the chip, Vcc voltage stays at 5V (afaik it is supposed to be 12V or more). However when I try to program empty EPROM (the one with the UV window), it works without any issue, but ofc only for the first time (I don't have UV lamp strong enough to make it empty again).

Do this particular programmer has a problem with 28x series or it is just me making some mistakes? Or maybe it is the software? Any advice highly appreciated!

Reply 1 of 2, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got no personal experience of the Willem programmer, so I have no idea what it tries to do, but not all 28 series EEPROMs have erase command support. Filling the buffer with FF bytes (binary 11111111) and writing them will produce the same result though, you could try that instead 😀

Edit: you'll of course also have to figure out how to disable the erasing step in the programming sequence too, if this is what causes the problem.

Edit 2: My T56 programmer fails programming 450 ns 28 series EEPROMs, it simply tries to go too fast. Also a potential problem source. If it's possible to adjust the timings. or at least extend the delays between the bytes, you could try that too.