VOGONS

First post, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Socket 5 motherboard that looks exactly like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323766168422

It is one of that numerous intel OEM motherboards with tens of revisions. One say it's called intel Aladdin that's in turn either OEM version of Intel Advanced/ZP (Zappa) or Intel Advanced/ZE (Zappa-E or Tahiti) - curse you, Intel, for such a clarity.

The motherboard doesn't post. I have a POST analyzer card, no post codes, just blank lines. Reset LED fires once as it should be.

There is no 3.3V LED on PCI bus as it has special AUX connector with 3.3V on it feeding the PCI Bus exclusively, but as I understand that should not prevent booting.

I measured the voltage on the CPU - it's ok, 3.3V (or 3.5V if VRE is used). Also I have FNIRSI pocket scope, so measured the CLK signal and it is correct (51MHz for P75 but at least stable).

What else can I check? It has PLCC32 based BIOS IC. I can try to replace it or even solder a socket but how can I check if it's BIOS?

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 1 of 5, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try checking the other voltages +5V and +12V and the battery.
Try removing everything but the CPU - it should still make POST codes without any RAM or cards so it helps eliminate the chance those components are causing some kind of mayhem.

Have you confirmed the CPU is good? Jumpers? If the multiplier is wrong a P75 probably won't be happy.
If it's jumpered for BIOS recovery or CMOS reset I'm not sure if it would produce POST codes, seems like it would though.

If you are able to remove the BIOS chip and have a way to dump it's contents, you could check it against whatever BIOSes are available online, if there are any.
If you install a socket and get some extra chips, you could burn another BIOS for it and see if it starts producing any POST codes. If you can't find a BIOS for this exact board, maybe just a BIOS for a board very similar to this one would still be able to do something.

Reply 2 of 5, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shamino wrote on 2023-07-15, 23:03:

Try checking the other voltages +5V and +12V and the battery.

They are fine, that's my standard AT PSU for testing. And new CR2032 for sure.

Try removing everything but the CPU - it should still make POST codes without any RAM or cards so it helps eliminate the chance those components are causing some kind of mayhem.

Yep, just bare PSU/MB/CPU/POST card

Have you confirmed the CPU is good? Jumpers? If the multiplier is wrong a P75 probably won't be happy.

I tried it on both known to work P100 and P75. All frequency combinations. Like, I have S7 ASUS motherboard but I want S5 for such a low build and put MMX CPU on the second one with Necroware's VRM help.

If it's jumpered for BIOS recovery or CMOS reset I'm not sure if it would produce POST codes, seems like it would though.

Tried all variants, first resetting, then enabling.

If you are able to remove the BIOS chip and have a way to dump it's contents, you could check it against whatever BIOSes are available online, if there are any.
If you install a socket and get some extra chips, you could burn another BIOS for it and see if it starts producing any POST codes. If you can't find a BIOS for this exact board, maybe just a BIOS for a board very similar to this one would still be able to do something.

Seems like it's the only remaining option for me. I found there was Mr. BIOS for such boards, that could be interesting. So I will try socketing and will find a use for this BIOS chips at last.

Thank you!

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 3 of 5, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also look very closely for any physical damage, including to the pins on the surface mounted chips. Do any of the chips get hot?

Some board problems could drag down the voltages even with a good power supply.

Reply 4 of 5, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shamino wrote on 2023-07-16, 11:19:

Also look very closely for any physical damage, including to the pins on the surface mounted chips. Do any of the chips get hot?

Some board problems could drag down the voltages even with a good power supply.

Voltages are ok, capacitors also looks ok. Nothing gets hot except for CPU for sure. Chipsets are barely warm.

There is BIOS recovery feature that is supposed to flash the BIOS from RAM using the small bootloader that doesn't even support video.

As I understand it requires memory to be installed, I have to connect floppy drive and set the jumper so it could read the BIOS but I don't see any FDD activity while I set this jumper to REC position.

Also it has to perform at least some POST tests, isn't it?

What else can I check before removing the BIOS chip? Should I see some activity on its pins with scope even if it's dead? Some bus activity?

Reply 5 of 5, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rkurbatov wrote on 2023-07-17, 14:26:
Voltages are ok, capacitors also looks ok. Nothing gets hot except for CPU for sure. Chipsets are barely warm. […]
Show full quote

Voltages are ok, capacitors also looks ok. Nothing gets hot except for CPU for sure. Chipsets are barely warm.

There is BIOS recovery feature that is supposed to flash the BIOS from RAM using the small bootloader that doesn't even support video.

As I understand it requires memory to be installed, I have to connect floppy drive and set the jumper so it could read the BIOS but I don't see any FDD activity while I set this jumper to REC position.

Also it has to perform at least some POST tests, isn't it?

Yes, I would think there should be some POST codes even in the recovery mode. If the boot block is damaged then recovery wont work though.

What else can I check before removing the BIOS chip? Should I see some activity on its pins with scope even if it's dead? Some bus activity?

I'm not sure how to confirm if it's attempting to access the BIOS chip, but it's an interesting idea. Maybe by scoping the CS pin?