VOGONS

First post, by SapientLion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, everyone!

This is my first ever post on this forum and i'm really glad to be here 😀. Hopefully, i'll learn a lot of new things by participating in myriad of various discussions that take place on this very forum. Without further ado, let me begin with a short story.

The last year, i decided to build myself my very own retro machine circa 2004/2005. An ultimate Windows XP system that is powerful enough to run games from roughly the same time period. Initially, i thought about building a Windows 98 machine, but it's somewhat a difficult task to accomplish due to the way those systems are distributed in the country where i currently live. Sure, i could've purchased something from platforms such as eBay or Amazon, but i was looking for afforable and tax-free solutions. Regardless, i found an Asus P4P800 SE mobo in a mighty mint condition from a local seller. They said that this machine was used in lightweight tasks and it was never OC-ed by them. I decided to buy that knowing that this mobo is the right choice for my use-case. It was a little bit on the dusty side, but i cleaned that up by blasting it with a little bit of freon. I tested it and, suffice to say, it worked perfectly. Fast-forward to the current day and i have a PC that cannot be turned on nor used due to the missing PSU. The previous one ended up being dead. I tried to fix that old thing, but it wasn't worth the effort as it completely killed itself. I no longer have any spare PSUs in storage meaning i'm out of any options whatsoever. I don't plan anymore to buy any older PSUs due to their age and tendencies for breaking down. I got really fed up fixing them and most of the time it's not worth doing that, at least from my experience.

So, i have a series of questions that i'd like to get answers for:

1. Will this PSU work adequately with Asus P4P800 SE? I'm well aware of 8-pin PCI-E CPU power cables that are incompatible with this mobo, but i found power cable adapters that can convert from 8-pin to 4-pin power cables which is neat. I'd like to buy that.
  2. What should i look for in terms of specifications when buying modern PSUs for older hardware? What are the pros and cons?
  3. What is the most compatible and the best (quality-wise and performance-wise) PSU for this machine? I'd like to hear all your experiences and recommendations in that regard.
  4. What would you do in my case?

Reply 2 of 6, by SapientLion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-07-16, 15:56:

8-pin is detachable.

Good point, but, in case of this PSU, it has 8(6+2)pin connector which is still not optimal in my situation. As far as i can understand, i can't make a 4-pin connector out of that.

Last edited by SapientLion on 2023-07-16, 16:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 6, by SapientLion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-07-16, 16:14:

it has 8(6+2)pin connector

RTFM.

Aha, i just realized that it has another cable which is 8(4+4)pin EPS. Well, it looks like i don't need to buy those adapter cables after all. I didn't notice that detail because i was looking elsewhere for additional information.

Reply 5 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello.

You don't need to worry much about PSUs on such computer, make sure that it is a high quality one (Seasonic, Corsair and EVGA for example) that has at least 300W with enough IDE and SATA cables. The ATX 24-pin connector can be used by removing or detaching the extra 4 pins, similar to the situation with the EPS12V.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 6, by SapientLion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-07-16, 16:41:

Hello.

You don't need to worry much about PSUs on such computer, make sure that it is a high quality one (Seasonic, Corsair and EVGA for example) that has at least 300W with enough IDE and SATA cables. The ATX 24-pin connector can be used by removing or detaching the extra 4 pins, similar to the situation with the EPS12V.

Thanks for the input.

So far, i found another unit which is good judging by the specifications listed on official website. It even has the molex cables (yay!). Although, it's more expensive than the one i mentioned and a little bit overkill with its wattage (550W), but i can't find anything below 500W on the market. I mean, i did find PSUs with 400W and below, but they are not good. I wouldn't put that into the case even if i had a chance.