VOGONS

First post, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I have an IBM 701c with a MultiPort Replicator II.

The notebook itself works flawlessly and also all the ports on the replicator but the PS/2 ones.
I couldn't get any keyboard or mouse working at all. They have power (keyboard LEDs turn on for a sec at power on and led of an optical mouse turns on too).

A serial mouse works okay (serial port is in the replicator). I have cleaned the contacts of the replicator port. So what is more possible a bad replicator or something broken in the notebook itself?

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could be a problem with data or clock signals. With just keyboard plugged in, does the num lock, caps lock or scroll lock LED's turn on if you push those buttons ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 6, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-07-22, 17:43:

Could be a problem with data or clock signals. With just keyboard plugged in, does the num lock, caps lock or scroll lock LED's turn on if you push those buttons ?

Nope, only the quick blink at boot

Reply 3 of 6, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not that I've ever seen a laptop with the option to disable external PS/2 devices, but might be worth trying the Config→Reset in the BIOS and going through all the settings* just in case there is one?

* Never seen, never mind used, a 701 and I can't find an user manual for it either, but apparently it has two separate setup utilities in ROM (F1 at power on vs Fn+F1 "in a plain real mode OS") and may or may not have an external setup software included with the "general utilities" driver, like some variant of Ps2.exe?

Reply 4 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good thought Ryccardo, maybe something needs be turned on in the BIOS. Here is the repair/tear down manual with some Diagnostic mentions.
Yeah no real User guide found for a 701c...

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 6, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The FN+F1 shortcut opens the BIOS setup WHILE the operating system is running, I never seen something like that before and it is extremly convenient.

Here I made a imgur post with short video of the BIOS opening while OS is running and also the four pages of the BIOS setup. It is in italian but I can affirm that nowhere there are references to PS/2 settings. There is a page that it is enabled while the MultiPort is plugged in but it's for change the resource settings of the other ports.

Screenshot 2023-07-23 10-36-49.png
Filename
Screenshot 2023-07-23 10-36-49.png
File size
172.46 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

While it is booting F1 opens up this page

Screenshot 2023-07-23 10-35-08.png
Filename
Screenshot 2023-07-23 10-35-08.png
File size
181.88 KiB
Views
File license

from where the same BIOS setup from before can be accessed but also the diagnostic utilities, I did the systemboard one and no issues got detected.

Screenshot 2023-07-23 10-35-14.png
Filename
Screenshot 2023-07-23 10-35-14.png
File size
196.76 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 6 of 6, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Contrasto ottimo 😁 😁

Yeah, out of ideas here, maybe try turning off the trackpoint but I bet absolutely nothing would change (it's supposed to work the opposite, external mouse blocks trackpoint)...