VOGONS

First post, by CreatuRe64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good day all,

As the title suggests, I am looking for a way to disable HDCP in Windows XP 32 bit.

The reasons for this is I have just purchased a new capture card (NZXT 4K30) and intend to use it to capture gaming from my Retro Build via a Dual PC setup to my modern Windows 11 machine.

I have a DVI-I (Dual Link) to HDMI cable running from my Radeon X850XT directly into the NZXT 4K30, however when adding the video capture device in OBS Studio, the image is purple and green and distorted. see image: Imgur OBS Scene

From what I have read online this is a symptom of HDCP being enabled on the Retro machine.

I have scoured the web and cannot find a means of disabling HDCP in Windows XP, so I am looking here for help. On modern operating systems the new Radeon drivers simply have a toggle to turn off HDCP under the "Overrides" section, and for Nvidia users there is a registry edit that you can perform see here: Disable HDCP via Regedit
My only other option is to use a cheap VGA to HDMI converter and thus convert the analogue VGA signal to HDMI and capture that, but I would really like to avoid doing that and use the DVI-I to HDMI cable instead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dualboot Windows 98se / Windows XP 32 bit - Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L Mainboard - Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 CPU - ATI Radeon X850XT GFX Card - Creative X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Snd Card - 2X2 GB DDR2 800 - RLoew's PATCHMEM & PATCHATA for Windows 98se applied.

Reply 1 of 2, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) Make sure DVI to HDMI adapter is working as intended in with another card/system (swap if needed)
2) Change DVI port to second one (to avoid any issues related to it)
3) There is no "DVI (Dual Link) to HDMI" adapters as HDMI is single link only connection (you may have extra pins in adapter, but they aren't doing anything)
4) Try 720p instead of 1080p, DVI port on X850s may be a bit weird with HDMI.
Check in driver's CCC for alternative modes for DVI, and change Overscan option is necessary.

Reply 2 of 2, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

> My only other option

Are HDCP strippers (usually in the form of Chinese splitters that"forget" to enable the copy protection flags on their outputs) not a thing any more? They used to be everywhere a couple years ago.