VOGONS

First post, by Rav

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there.

Recently I did replace my etherdfs retro computers network drive for Novell Netware 4.11. The idea was to have a network solution that is accessible from all retro OS instead of only DOS and for that, it's great, Can't be better, I think.
It's more compatible than etherdfs (some games crash when loaded from a etherdfs drive... All of these work fine when loaded from a Netware share and the DOS Client32 only use 4K of UMB. (And by consuming an extra ~20K of UMB, you can add a packet driver shim, with allow usage of mTCP stuff). And share speed is great as no TCP overhead with is nice on a 10Base-T..

The second part of the idea, was that I needed to be able to connect to the network drive from my recent Windows 11 and Linux boxes. I wanted to be able to transfer retro softwares to that network drive at full speed without having to loop thru a 486 10MB NIC.

So I configured Netware TCP, installed Netware/IP services and then installed FTP..

It work... but:

While I can get 4MiB/s when I download from that FTP (which is great considering that netware VM have a pcnet 10MB NIC), I have a major upload issue.
* If I try to upload using filezilla, It try to upload 512k kind of instantly and lose the connection, then wakeup after 20 second with an 550 access denied error, leaving a 0 bytes files on the network drive.
* If I try to upload using winscp (normal FTP settings), it does upload but the speed is limited to ~9KiB/s.

I did try Active and Passive mode and performance & issue are identical.

I could not find the cause of the issue, there is plenty of receive buffers available on netware and no error whatsoever.

Is something changed in FTP with time somehow, considering Netware 4.11 date from 1996?
Uploading from DOS or Win95, directly into the network share, normally, just work at full speed

EDIT : Problem solved by rebooting Windows 11.
So much time lost trying to debug the thing to figure out it was a windows thing.... Gonna wipe it tonight to replace it with Artix Linux 😁