VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They gave me a Pentium4 and the motherboard is an Asus P5LD2-SE, looking for information on this card I discovered that it can mount up to the Core2Duo E6700. Unfortunately my revision is 1.0 so I can't mount it. But it reminded me of a possible support computer for retrocomputers. Since this card (in the C2D compatible version) has the IDE channel, the Floppy drive, the SATA as standard, it could be an excellent laboratory computer for creating Floppy disks, testing IDE drives etc. The only doubt is whether Windows 10 works with a C2D E6700 and whether it works at least decently to be able to navigate, download software, burn CDs... or whether the CPU is too slow. I'm currently using an AMD A4-5300 which unfortunately doesn't have floppy or IDE support so it's very limited. Plus this AMD is quite slow to run Win10, would the E6700 be better or at least the same? If it were slower it would be useless. What if instead of installing win10 on the E6700, I installed Windows7? Is it still decently supported at browser level?

Reply 1 of 15, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had windows 10 installed on my old core 2 E8600 system with 8 gigs of ddr2 1066 and honestly it ran just fine. It wasn't a speed demon or anything but with a SSD it was snappy enough.

Reply 4 of 15, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2024-05-17, 19:07:

It'll still run. My wife's older laptop was similar CPU and 4 gigs of RAM. It served her needs fine untill the battery failed

interesting thanks.. and what about the use of Windows7 in this scenario? about browser availability ecc

Reply 5 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If we are just talking about Windows then:
Windows 10 will likely be more memory efficient than 7 but it'll all be gobbled up by the browser so make sure you use pihole,noscript/ublock origin, etc.
You may want to compare 10 32bit vs 64bit as far as memory usage.
There are stripped down versions of Windows 10 out there if you don't want to do so yourself but those can't be mentioned here.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 15, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It takes a bit of effort to find an up-to-date browser supporting windows 7.
It's a shame because windows 10's memory usage is bloated and it doesn't really run acceptably with only 4GB, which rules out using windows on machines that are still fairly usable but have a fixed amount of RAM e.g. laptops, compute sticks...

Reply 7 of 15, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The main hurdle is Windows 10 loading time on mechanical harddrives. 🫤 Else even first gen Core2Duo is just fine for 10 and even hacked 11.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 8 of 15, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So would a card like the Asus P5L2D be good as a support computer, internet consultation, CD burning, etc? and would the Floppy disk and IDE channels of this card (which has the 945 chipset) work well on win10 even though technically I don't think it has the drivers for these components?

Reply 10 of 15, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote on 2024-05-17, 19:51:

hee... no, you have Supermium, and is in Release Announcements forum

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium

It's a shame because windows 10's memory usage is bloated and it doesn't really run acceptably with only 4GB, which rules out using windows on machines that are still fairly usable but have a fixed amount of RAM e.g. laptops, compute sticks...

I dont like 10, in fact hate vista+ NTs, but 10 work fine in a laptop i have with 2GB, just not use official releases, use for example tiny10

Reply 11 of 15, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Firefox LTS it even has 32bit version.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 12 of 15, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 10 32bit with a 2.0ghz dual core P6100? 4gb of ram and a 250gb SSD isn't really bad. In my experience there was usually 200mb roughly of memory free. As long as you stuck to 2-3 tabs in Firefox.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 13 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't seen any problems with Core 2 and Win10. 4GB is a bit tight but it's adequate for web, email, and a basic office suite. You want an SSD though and a discrete GPU with Win10 drivers, so you aren't sharing system RAM and you aren't on video drivers meant for Vista as the IGP would be.

Reply 14 of 15, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote on 2024-05-19, 04:16:

I haven't seen any problems with Core 2 and Win10. 4GB is a bit tight but it's adequate for web, email, and a basic office suite. You want an SSD though and a discrete GPU with Win10 drivers, so you aren't sharing system RAM and you aren't on video drivers meant for Vista as the IGP would be.

and an Athlon II X2 250 can be right for Win10??