VOGONS

First post, by Deflektor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I installed Usb Floppy Manager 1.40i from Philcomputerlab's website on my main Win11 machine. I run it as admin, but no matter what i do it permits me to format any flashdrive, no matter the size, with "ACCESS DENIED" popup.
Then i bring my old Win7 laptop, install it there and everything worked like a charm. I formatted the usb, save some files on 3 virtual flloppies, and then put the usb back into my main rig. Now the Usb Floppy Manager sees all the 100 floppies, but whenever i try to save anything anywhere it goes "ACCESS DENIED" again.

I mean, using old laptop is ok, but the main idea when i was buying Gotek was to use it for quick file transfers from my main rig.
Please help.

Last edited by Deflektor on 2024-05-20, 03:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know once your newer than XP the software is pretty buggy (and it's not exactly amazing in XP)

This video is for Win10 but would think it still works for 11?
https://youtu.be/Of9aVq_cQQQ?si=-zECKqLIlXSdwOEI

Must admit I copy files from my modern PC's across the network to my XP rig and use the gotek software on that, but each to their own.

Reply 2 of 8, by Deflektor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the vid, but he seems to have different problems than I do.

I tried some other Chinese software, it says it formats the flashdrive, but actually doing nothing.

I was thinking, maybe it has to do with some policy restrictions on Win11? Denied access to floppy drives in gpedit.msc? I have a Win11 Home version btw.
Firewall restrictions? (but he seems to be quiet)

Reply 3 of 8, by DarthSun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deflektor wrote on 2024-05-20, 03:26:
Thanks for the vid, but he seems to have different problems than I do. […]
Show full quote

I tried some other Chinese software, it says it formats the flashdrive, but actually doing nothing.

I was thinking, maybe it has to do with some policy restrictions on Win11? Denied access to floppy drives in gpedit.msc? I have a Win11 Home version btw.

Win7 still works, paranoid Win11 no longer allow such operations.

floppyemuwin7.jpg
Filename
floppyemuwin7.jpg
File size
396.06 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The 3 body problems cannot be solved, neither for future quantum computers, even for the remainder of the universe. The Proton 2D is circling a planet and stepping back to the quantum size in 11 dimensions.

Reply 4 of 8, by Deflektor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DarthSun wrote on 2024-05-23, 12:29:

Yep. Yesterday I tried to clone my win98 SSD and under Win11 it also permits me with "access denied" in any software like Acronis, Easeus, Macrium reflect.

Under win7 - no problems.

Reply 5 of 8, by DarthSun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deflektor wrote on 2024-05-24, 03:13:

Yep. Yesterday I tried to clone my win98 SSD and under Win11 it also permits me with "access denied" in any software like Acronis, Easeus, Macrium reflect.

Under win7 - no problems.

I use a CD/DVD/Pendrive boot for cloning. But anyway, Poweriso and USB Image Tool are still working from win11.

The 3 body problems cannot be solved, neither for future quantum computers, even for the remainder of the universe. The Proton 2D is circling a planet and stepping back to the quantum size in 11 dimensions.

Reply 6 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Show full quote

floppemuwin7.jpg

Older OSes (pre-Win10, not macOS) don't support multiple partitions for removable media, such as USB pen drives.
Or rather, they always show first partition only.

Maybe that's why Windows 10/11 have trouble with the Gotek software; they perhaps get into the way of the multi-partition thing somehow.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 8, by DarthSun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2024-05-24, 17:44:
Older OSes (pre-Win10, not macOS) don't support multiple partitions for removable media, such as USB pen drives. Or rather, they […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

floppemuwin7.jpg

Older OSes (pre-Win10, not macOS) don't support multiple partitions for removable media, such as USB pen drives.
Or rather, they always show first partition only.

Maybe that's why Windows 10/11 have trouble with the Gotek software; they perhaps get into the way of the multi-partition thing somehow.

It is possible, I didn't pay attention. I have recently been using 2 FAT32 partitions on USB external SSD. There is an interesting thing, XP does not see SSD at all, dos/win98 yes. Dos boot is caused and the extended partition can be seen.

Reply 8 of 8, by t3hbeowulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you're using the stock GoTek firmware (and *NOT* FlashFloppy), you can get around the software issue by formatting the USB drive in the Gotek itself. (If your GoTek has a knob, it's probably running FlashFloppy and the thoughts below won't apply.)

If I recall, insert a USB drive you don't mind erasing and hold both buttons at the same time for a few seconds. It will format the USB into the 100 partitions.
You can then connect a GoTek to a modern PC using a "USB to Floppy" adapter, it will present each slot to Windows as one drive at a time. Then, block copy software (such as WinImage) can be used to write an image file to the selected floppy slot on the GoTek without needing the GoTek software.

Personally, I switched to the FlashFloppy firmware for my GoTek and never looked back. With FlashFloppy, you can read any image file directly on modern machines and copy the image files to a USB drive in Explorer as regular files, skipping the conversion/block writing steps. FlashFloppy doesn't require any special software on the PC to read/write the images But I find HxC Floppy Emulator to be helpful if I want to make a.disc or edit an image.