VOGONS

First post, by Hedgie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good evening everyone,

I recently aquired a Socket 7 based system and think it's a ECS P5HX-b. Looking on the board seems to indicate this. After getting windows 95 installed on it and using an SD to IDE solution, I started having issues with the system after installing the ide drivers. Seems to work fine in safe mode so I'm having to guess that maybe the BIOS might need to be patched. The label on the BIOS EEPROM says it's version 1. So I started digging around and found Looking for motherboard bios update ECS board. but the thread leads to only a .bin file. Does anyone have a flashing utility I can use to apply the up to date bios?

Thanks in advance,

Hedgie

Reply 1 of 7, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is the brand? Have you done this before? Anyhow, before using the flash utility you must set the protection jumper to 12V.

https://www.wimsbios.com/biosutil.jsp#gsc.tab=0

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 7, by Hedgie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Dominusprog,

Thanks for the link. I ran accorss that site in my searches, but wasn't sure if it was legit. Asi I've done bios updates before. But I don't recall if I ever did a socket 7 system. I know in general you toss the data onto a floppy and do it in a dos enviorment. As for the brand of the system, I need to confirm it before I flash the bios but I do think it's a ECS board as the model number certainly lines up with ECS.

Reply 3 of 7, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hedgie wrote on 2024-05-20, 00:49:

Hey Dominusprog,

Thanks for the link. I ran accorss that site in my searches, but wasn't sure if it was legit. Asi I've done bios updates before. But I don't recall if I ever did a socket 7 system. I know in general you toss the data onto a floppy and do it in a dos enviorment. As for the brand of the system, I need to confirm it before I flash the bios but I do think it's a ECS board as the model number certainly lines up with ECS.

Well, I read the manual and it seems that it doesn't have any physical write protection for switching between 5 and 12V.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 4 of 7, by Hedgie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I actually ran the bios update with some imaging software and it says it's not the right match. I did notice a few other links in that other thread that lead to an exe so I'll try that next. Right now I'm trying to build an image using 86box so hopefully this'll all get sorted.

Reply 5 of 7, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hedgie wrote on 2024-05-20, 02:59:

I actually ran the bios update with some imaging software and it says it's not the right match. I did notice a few other links in that other thread that lead to an exe so I'll try that next. Right now I'm trying to build an image using 86box so hopefully this'll all get sorted.

For this board ECS recommended* the attached ECSFlash utility.

Filename
ecsflash.exe
File size
10.54 KiB
Downloads
4 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The flash utility Flash3.6 is for universal use:
UMC 8498 chipset - UMC498x series models
UMC 8880 chipset - UM881x series models
SiS 50x chipset - SI54PAIO, SI54PVIO
SiS 550x chipset - SI54PAIO, SI54PVIO
SiS 551x chipset - SI55PAIO, SI56PVIO, SI57PVIO, SC58PVIO
Intel 430FX chipset - TS54PAIO, TS54PVIO,TR5510AIO
The flash utility Award Flash is for universal use:
VIA VT82C598MVP chipset - P5VP-A+, P5SD-B+
The flash utility ECSFlash is for universal use:
Intel 430HX chipset - P5HX-A, P5HX-B, P5HX-LA

Intel 430VX chipset - P5VX-A, P5VX-B, P5VX-Be
Intel 430TX chipset - P5TX-A, P5TX-B, P5TX-AR, P5TX-LA, P5TX-Apro, P5TX-Bpro
Intel 440FX chipset - P6FX1-A, P6FX1-B, P6KFX-A
Intel 440LX chipset - P6LX-A, P6LX2-A, P6LX-A+, P6LX-B
Intel 440BX chipset - P6BX-A+
Intel 440EX chipset - P6EX-MM,P6EX-Me
SiS 5571 chipset - P5SV-B
SiS 5582 chipset - P5SJ-A
SiS 5598 chipset - P5SJ-B, P5SJ-AU
SiS 5595&5591 chipset - P5SD-A,P5SD-B
The flash utility AMIFlash is for universal use:
Intel 440FX chipset - P6FX2-A

Reply 6 of 7, by Hedgie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks PC,

I was actually looking for that earlier. Now I just need to figure out how to get 95 OSR 2.5 to use the 32 gigs I have on the sd card. But that's a task for another day as I'm out of time. Thanks again everyone have a good night.