VOGONS

Common searches

How to increase keyboard response time in Dosbox?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Astral100

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys.

Does anyone know how to increase keyboard response time in Dosbox?
For example in windows you would need to go to Control Panel->Keyboard->Character repeat rate and slide all sliders to the max.

It is really annoying to wait about half a second or so every time you hit forward key, before the guy actually starts moving forward.

Does anyone know how to do it?

P.S. Increasing cycles increases the overall speed, but doesn't remove the delay between key press and its repeat cycle.

P.P.S. I have found how to do it in DOS here:
http://www.palmtoppaper.com/ptphtml/28/pt28003c.htm
But I have no clue how to do it in Dosbox

Reply 1 of 23, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Increase response time??? I hope you mean decrease response time.

In any case, I don't think it is possible.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 23, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The typematic delay and repeat rate in DOSBox works the same as DOS machines. Turbokey was a popular freeware program for adjusting the settings, found in many an autoexec.bat back in the day. Parameters are (A-Z)(1-4); letter is the rate, number is the delay, lower is faster, so you would use "TURBOKEY A1" for the fastest settings.

Note that many games have their own keyboard handling stuff, and the settings this utility tweaks will have no effect on those games.

Attachments

• Filename
    turbokey.zip
    File size
    475 Bytes
    Downloads
    1534 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by ripsaw8080 on 2008-11-06, 22:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 23, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

"My mom can beat your dad!"

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 23, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

What makes you think you know it works for THAT game?

I don't think I even suggested it would do anything for any particular game. The OP's inquiry was about changing the typematic delay in general with no mention of a specific game, posted in the general forum; and even if they are in error that it is the source of the problem, the utility is effective for what was asked for.

BTW, I just tried it, and the mode.com from FreeDOS is effective for setting the typematic delay and rate in DOSBox as described in the OP's link. Some might prefer to use it (can do other stuff as well) over a specific tool like Turbokey.

Reply 11 of 23, by Astral100

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow! So many responses in such a short time 0_0

Anyway, thanks a lot everyone for your answers. Perhaps my words have been a little hard to understand. English is not my native language, perhaps that is why only ripsaw808 was able to understand what I meant.

Thank a lot ripsaw808. Your solution was exactly what I needed. After looking on the internet for the turbokey, I finally was able to download it, set it up as you said to "turbokey A1", and lo and belhold, everything is finally responsive to the touch and actually moves when I want to:) You really made my day, ripsaw808, thanks 😄

I was really quite surprised though that apparently nobody but me has been bothered by it. Before posting here I spend quite a lot of time looking for some solution or DosBox option or some forum discussions about that, but couldn't find anything anywhere regarding keyboard response time in Dos or Dosbox.

By the way, if anyone is interested I was trying to run the "Betrayal at Krondor" game. The issue however applies to practically any game running under Dos.

Anyway, the problem is finally solved, thanks everyone, especially ripsaw808 and I hope this will help somebody else in the future too.

Reply 12 of 23, by Astral100

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BTW, I just tried it, and the mode.com from FreeDOS is effective for setting the typematic delay and rate in DOSBox as described in the OP's link. Some might prefer to use it (can do other stuff as well) over a specific tool like Turbokey.

I wanted to use that command in DosBox, but it didnt work:(
Whenever I tried to write "MODE CON: rate=32 delay=1" in Dosbox it would say "Illegal command: mode"

Reply 13 of 23, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I don't think I even suggested it would do anything for any particular game.

He said "before the guy actually starts moving forward." so obviously it is
game related. Thus PLEASE instead of randomly putting up applications on
the forum ask for the stuff they should post in the first place anyways.

The issue however applies to practically any game running under Dos.

Do keen or doom have the same effect for you? Then something is seriously
wrong as they do not respect the typematic programming.

Reply 14 of 23, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

OK, wd, I will question the poster's conclusions more thoroughly in the future. 😉

I know the typematic rate influences games like Rogue and Nethack, but I can't think of any others. I'm surprised a game of Betrayal's relative complexity relys on repeating keys; because after all it's a poor sort of way to read the keyboard for an action game -- even with the shortest delay possible there is still a delay involved.

Reply 16 of 23, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I found that Betrayal at Krondor (CD version) is indeed influenced by the keyboard typematic programming for moving around; it becomes painfully obvious if you increase the delay or decrease the repeat rate. Tried with 0.72 and CVS using normal and dynamic cores. DOSBox defaults to the fastest repeat rate, but the second-shortest delay, so being able to switch to the shortest delay can be useful for this game. But, again, the issue is not a common one in my experience.

The game sets up an INT 9 handler, and does not appear to use INT 16, which is what I expected. It might be useful to examine its keyboard hardware interrupt stuff to at least ensure that DOSBox isn't doing anything to bring out the behavior; but it may just be the way it's programmed. Note that one doesn't have to use the keyboard at all if the mouse is used to click on the arrows around the compass, but I can see why the keyboard might be preferable to that.

Reply 18 of 23, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yes, by writing commands to the keyboard I/O ports, or rather to DOSBox's emulation of the hardware, not the actual hardware. Still, it seems unusual for a game like Krondor to use repeating keys, but oh well.

Not that anyone really wants more conf settings, but being able to define the default delay and rate would eliminate the need for a tool program to do it.