VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Out of curiosity, I tried running Ultima 6 (Origin, 1990) on a P100 machine. To my surprise, it didn't run stupidly fast. It was too fast, but less quick than I anticipated.

I want to try out other early 486-era games on a P100. Games which were released around '90 - '92. Any suggestions please? I'm looking to test games that are known to work OK on a 486, but not so well on anything faster. Please note, I'm not looking for really ancient games, such as '80s games for 386s and beyond.

Thanks a lot.

Reply 1 of 13, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

Out of curiosity, I tried running Ultima 6 (Origin, 1990) on a P100 machine. To my surprise, it didn't run stupidly fast. It was too fast, but less quick than I anticipated.

I want to try out other early 486-era games on a P100. Games which were released around '90 - '92. Any suggestions please? I'm looking to test games that are known to work OK on a 486, but not so well on anything faster. Please note, I'm not looking for really ancient games, such as '80s games for 386s and beyond.

Thanks a lot.

Test these:

Wing Commander 1 (will run at hyper speed)
Wing Commander 2 (music/sfx can sound weird)
Double Dragon III
Prophecy - Viking Child
Silpheed

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 2 of 13, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pentiums 90/100 are the worst possible gamer CPUs. They were too fast for old games, up to the point of being totally useless and far too slow for newer games. I really, honestly hated my P90 back at that time. I would have been much happier if I had 486 DX4 66 Mhz or a real P1 133Mhz/166 mmx.

A game that ran flawlessly on the P90 was for example Diablo 1. But there are a bunch of DOS games that didnt run on it. My favorite of that time - bubble bobble didn't run anymore. Ducktales too.

Anyway, forget about P100 - get a nice little DX4@66Mhz or a decent P1 or even Pentium PRO 200Mhz - those are "gamer" CPUs.

Reply 3 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elfuego wrote:

Pentiums 90/100 are the worst possible gamer CPUs.

In contrast to the 'superior' K5s and Cyrix6x86MXs, p100s look great compared to those in terms of actual performance. A lack of MMX keeps it from being a real keeper though.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@everyone,

Thanks a lot for your comments.

I just want to add something here. I understand that a P100 is not the best choice. A better choice would be either a fast 486, or a P-MMX, or a PPro. However, I was thinking of throwing together 3 rigs (just for a bit fun) -

1) 486 dx2 66 (or sx 25) -- use for older '90s DOS games.
2) pentium 100 (or 90) -- use for windows 3.1
3) pentium mmx 166 (or 200) -- use for some SVGA games.

Given the above, would a P100 still be a bad idea?

Reply 5 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it'll feel a bit redundant with the 166 around, since the 100 is rather close to its speed

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

it'll feel a bit redundant with the 166 around, since the 100 is rather close to its speed

Yes, that's a good point. How about I make it a P90, and the other one a P200 mmx then?! 😉

Reply 7 of 13, by prozoam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's really no advantage to any point between a 486-66 and a P-MMX. I can't think of a single game that can be played optimally on the 60-150 Mhz Pentiums that cannot be played optimally on a 486-66 or P-MMX.

Reply 8 of 13, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
prozoam wrote:

There's really no advantage to any point between a 486-66 and a P-MMX. I can't think of a single game that can be played optimally on the 60-150 Mhz Pentiums that cannot be played optimally on a 486-66 or P-MMX.

Agree

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 9 of 13, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:
prozoam wrote:

Agree

Me too. But, if its just for fun - why not! Its gonna cost you a few bucks, but if you are at least as half as crazy about old HW as I am, it will give you a lot of fun 😀

Reply 10 of 13, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, so slightly off target as to OP's time frame, this beeing a game from 1994, which speed is the best for Magic Carpet(1, or 2 for that sake) ?

I've tried it on a Celeron533@803, but it is unplayable... waay too fast.
So, when does it start to get faster than it should be, I wonder ?
P166, P200, other ?
(too lazy to test all that myself... heh)

Reply 11 of 13, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's more do to how they coded it. Populous, from 1989, will play on my Athlon X2.

Reply 12 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bullfrog aren't a fan of speed throttling. Most of their games are pretty much designed for 486 DX4 100s it seems, but Pentium 133s if you hit R to pump it up to SVGA.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@everyone, thanks for all comments. 😀

Re: Magic Carpet 1 & 2, I tried both on a P90. In VGA mode, both were too fast, but not unplayable. I messed about in the BIOS, disabling any setting which I thought might slow things down a bit, then reran MC1. It seemed almost OK, but still a bit too fast. Both games in SVGA mode were too slow. So, using a P90 wasn't too successful, but not a disaster.

Edit: I tried the above scenario with a P133 (non-MMX), in SVGA mode. It seemed about right. Although it was undeniably a little bit slow & choppy, the animation speed of the characters scurrying about on the ground looked correct.