VOGONS

First post, by Saratar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok. I'm running a 2ghz P4 with 512 mb RAM through the Win XP O/S. I have been trying for nearly two months now to get the original Dune 1 by Cryo to work with sound, and no matter what I try I can't get any sound whatsoever. I've tried using the launch application; I HAVE updated VDMSound; I've tried DOSbox .58; and I've tried every hardware configuration in Dune's install.exe

Can anyone help me!? I REALLY want to play this game!

Reply 1 of 14, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It works perfectly for me under WinXP. Have you run the setup config?

Reply 2 of 14, by Saratar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes. I've tried every hardware configuration in the install.exe file within the Dune directory
I forgot to mention that I'm running an Audigy 2 sound card (NOT the pro version)

Reply 3 of 14, by Cush

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have to chime in here too. I had no problems getting this game to run under XP. Perhaps you should run the install/setup configuration under VDMSound to ensure it detects the right hardware?

Cush

Reply 4 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you configure it to run in silence (No sound or PC speaker), does it run properly?

Reply 5 of 14, by Saratar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

<trumpets sound> Dune 1 is working properly. Thanks for the help peeps; some frantic stumbling brought me about to the solution... one far too embarassing to mention here. Thanks again!

Reply 6 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hmmm turned on your speakers ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 14, by Unregistered

User metadata

Tell me how you got it to run. I have no clue how to run under xp. I'll end up spending two months as well. And no, my speakers are on.

Reply 8 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

[plug] You could use DOSBox [/plug]

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 14, by Kyle

User metadata

I've tried using "DosBox .61," and it always says ..

Illegal command: logo. Illegal command: duneprg. […]
Show full quote

Illegal command: logo.
Illegal command: duneprg.

I guess I'll try with VDMSound as well. Can't hurt.

Reply 10 of 14, by Kyle

User metadata

Ran "install.exe" with VDMSound, configured the sound. Ran "dune.bat" under VDMSound after, no sound. What's the deal? :\

Reply 11 of 14, by fgjfghjfjfhj

User metadata

What was the solution, because I am having the same problem.

Reply 12 of 14, by Guest

User metadata

Hey people im having the same problem. it works fine under xp with no sound, however it causes some problems when i try to engage soundblaster. Midi seems working fine for music, but no for sb.

And there is another issue which is very very strange, while i tried again and again,instantly i found game accepts both midi for music and sb for sfx and "sometimes" not?? i manage to make it work and i exit the game and execute it again and nope.. black screen.. and i try and try unexpectedly another try it works?? no changes made to pif file at all?? somebody can explain this???

Reply 13 of 14, by Guest

User metadata

i had same problem. im running default conf 0.63. I only need to change hidma from 5 to 3 on line 97 so it now reads:
hdma=3

Reply 14 of 14, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

first make sure files are not readonly or else config won't be saved; then run install etc.
v.