VOGONS

They still make new 4:3 screens.

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 52, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK I get you. I was mainly concerned with how a low-res narrow image would be scaled on a higher res widescreen and didn't notice that you were talking 4:3 on 5:4.

Reply 41 of 52, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
5u3 wrote:

Because 4:3 is the format of old games. Good widescreen monitors offer aspect-correct interpolation, but a surprising number of screens doesn't.
Interpolation is supposed to be done by the graphics card nowadays, that's why it's so difficult to find a decent screen for old machines.

Oh, I didn't know; my retro pc has a 14 inch color monitor, and my everyday Linux computer has a 17'' crt monitor, so this house is LCD free, never had a LCD monitor and I was planing to buy one but didn't know the wrong aspect ratio would affect, I thought if I run an old game the monitor would display a standard 4:3 image with black bars on each side, am I correct?

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 42 of 52, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can force to always keep the aspect ratio through your graphics card control panel, so it's mostly ok 😀.

Reply 43 of 52, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

You can force to always keep the aspect ratio through your graphics card control panel, so it's mostly ok 😀.

Graphic card control panel in real mode DOS? I don't think so.
no idea how a LCD screen behaves on DOS

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 44 of 52, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh yeah, that's right I didn't even consider DOS, it really is a bad idea 😜

Reply 45 of 52, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A quality LCD monitor will also have OS-independent aspect ratio options in the OSD.

Reply 46 of 52, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stull wrote:

A quality LCD monitor will also have OS-independent aspect ratio options in the OSD.

I will check that out, any brand recommended ?

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 47 of 52, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vmunix wrote:
Stull wrote:

I've owned Samsung and HP models with stretch/maintain ratio options, and a cheapo Hanns-G that didn't have any...

Reply 48 of 52, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stull wrote:
vmunix wrote:
Stull wrote:

I've owned Samsung and HP models with stretch/maintain ratio options, and a cheapo Hanns-G that didn't have any...

I can set the correct aspect ratio for various resolutions using the OSD on my cheap 'LG IPS235V' monitor 😀.

Reply 49 of 52, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

4:3 in 2013? That's something, considering that 16:9 is becoming obsolete now as many TV channels have already moved on to an even wider aspect ratio. The last 4:3 I had was a Samtron monitor from 2002.

Reply 50 of 52, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what aspect ratio, what resolutions and where do you live?

Reply 51 of 52, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mike wrote:

4:3 in 2013? That's something, considering that 16:9 is becoming obsolete now as many TV channels have already moved on to an even wider aspect ratio. The last 4:3 I had was a Samtron monitor from 2002.

TVs have not moved on from 16:9 at all (not sure where you heard that?)... I think 16:9 is going to be with us for quite some time. I know LG and Philips have released their own 'ultra wide' 21:9 TVs, but we're not sure how quickly they'll catch on yet (although they'd probably make a good alternative to multi screen setups when it comes to gaming 😀).

Reply 52 of 52, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ditto for that,

Even 16:9, although undisputably dominant, is not defacto standard yet (not all TV channels moved to it yet, many DVDs of old available around are still 4:3) although its around for more than a decade, so I'm not expecting something would change in a couple of years, into another standard.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000