VOGONS

Dreamweb in Windows XP

Topic actions

First post, by krank

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a problem here...

I am a Windows XP user. Don't flame me 'cause of this, I use XP since '95 is bad, '98 is '95 1.01, ME is '98 1.5 and 2000 doesn't have nearly enough support for the things I want to do...

*cough*

Seems like I went a bit off-topic.

I am a great fan of the old game Dreamweb.

Unfortunatily, since 'XP doesn't have DOS as a base, and I therefore cannot quit it to enter true DOS, I have difficulties:
Windows XP hogs Conventional Memory somwthing fierce. OK, not worse than some original DOS drivers, but I still can't chalk up the 590 K needed to play the game. Suggestions?

Reply 1 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That doesn't make any sense. I ran DreamWeb CD here fine, with EMS and sound. Use VDMSound and see if that doesn't solve your problem. And for the love of god, fill out your profile.

Oh, and FYI, Windows 95 was Windows 4.0. 😀
(98 was 4.1, 98SE was 4.11, ME was 4.5, 2K is 5.0, and XP is 5.1).

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 14, by krank

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried VDMsound, latest download. Still Not Enough Conventional Memory.

And I wasn't trying to make exact version reflections, I wanted only to speak of the extreme similarities between 95, 98, and ME.

Reply 3 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Weird.

Any RAID or HDD controller?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 14, by krank

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope, none.

I was, until a few minutes ago, using a desktop replacement named Aston. I just changed back to plain Explorer, closed down just about everything...

And still nothing.

This is my screen when I run mem/c under cmd.exe or command.com:

Reply 5 of 14, by krank

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...this is when I run Dreamweb with VDMsound:

Reply 7 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is no MIDI, nor are their really any configuation options for the audio. Just command-line switches (/I for IRQ, /D for DMA, /A for address, /N for no audio). I can't recall if Dreamweb actually requires EMS memory, so try running without it.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 9 of 14, by krank

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've disabled DPMI and EMS... Still the same problem (requires 590 k)

Reply 11 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Geeze, I want back and re-looked at what he ran, and just realised that he wasn't running VDMS when he was ran MEM /C! I should pay more attention.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 12 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could this be one of those situations where there programmer didn't take future hardware into account? I've heard of some old DOS titles that will refuse to install on "modern" hard drive partitions because they can't comprehend the drive size.

I've actually heard that some flake out and insist that the drive is a negative size.

Could it be that something like this is happening with his memory? IE: It goes to check, comes back with an unexpected result and simply presumes that anything unexpected means not enough memory.

Reply 13 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No. Like I said, it runs FINE here, and I've got 120GB of space on my C drive. (It reports it as 2048MB, unsurprisingly.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 14 of 14, by krank

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I couldn't get the .bat file to work correctly... So instead I ran cmd.exe with VDMsound... This is the result...

Sorry it's in Swedish...