VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can someone list some games which work in pure DOS but definitely do not work in Windows 3.1? Can anyone describe the limitations of the Win 3.1 dos box? I believe it's always in protected mode, which may cause some games to fail.

Reply 2 of 4, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Doom

and thus, Windows 95 was born.......

I'm fairly certain I actually used to be able to run Doom from within Win3.11 on one of my 486 boxes. Granted, it's probably not the best idea to do so. 🤣

Reply 3 of 4, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember having nothing but problems. The only games that would work might be some shareware text-basic games without sound. 'twas never a problem because exiting (and re-entering) Windows 3.1 was so fast. The config.sys/autoexec.bat that worked best for Win3.1 tended to be fine for all your DOS games too, so no need to reboot.

Windows 3.1 was a shell, not an OS. I wouldn't recommend running DOS games under DESQview either.

Reply 4 of 4, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote:

Can someone list some games which work in pure DOS but definitely do not work in Windows 3.1? Can anyone describe the limitations of the Win 3.1 dos box? I believe it's always in protected mode, which may cause some games to fail.

Most games had some sort of issue, mainly because of conventional and extended memory being used by Windows. Win 3.1 also ran in protected mode, which did keep protected mode games from working.