VOGONS

Out of Memory Error

Topic actions

First post, by Guest

User metadata

After running a certain program 5 times I get an out of memory error. I have bumped up the memory in the conf file and I still receive the error at the same exact point. I have also ran this on a different physical machine with the same results.

Even if there is a memory leak in this program, shouldn't the memory be released when it exits?

Reply 1 of 5, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Euhm dos doesn't protect the program from fucking around memory and invalidating tables so it can happen

Reply 2 of 5, by Guest

User metadata

Are there any work arounds for this? Can I tap into non-conventional memory?

Besides for this small problem, dosbox is a godsend. I have to run this old legacy dos app that no longer works properly in XP.

Reply 3 of 5, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you restart DOSBox each time? Wouldn't that be a solution as 'Windows' will clear down the DOSBox process and its virtual environment on exit.

Reply 5 of 5, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There used to be programs like mark/release that allowed you to deal with such programs (and even TSRs). Here: http://www.nfbnet.org/download/memory.htm you can find a number of memory-related tools. Take a look at TSRCOM34.ZIP, which includes mark and release. I haven't tested whether they work correctly in DOSbox, but they should 😀. Its easy: start mark, start your program, start release. You could put that in a batchfile of course. Hope that helps.

JAL