VOGONS

Joystick for Old Games

Topic actions

First post, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As I'm one of those people who played through the entire Wing Commander series with a mouse, I don't know much about joysticks. But since nowadays you can buy old joysticks at a low price, I'm thinking about enhancing my Wing Commander experience. Since there are many different types of joysticks with different features I'd like to know what good all-purpose old joysticks there are. My priority lies rather in very exact control than in lots of buttons or fancy features.

Reply 1 of 6, by teamster1975

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd recommend any analogue joystick from Gravis, they're virtually bullet proof,and the trims are spot on.
I played Wing Commander 1 and 2 with my trusty Gravis, that was when I had the 286 with 640K of RAM so I couldn't get the fancy explosions!
It even survived my brother "borrowing" it to play Speedball 2!!

Reply 2 of 6, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the answer, but I already bought a Logitech Wingman Extreme (not digital, of course) from E-Bay for around 5$. Let's see how it works with Wing Commander.

Reply 3 of 6, by teamster1975

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No worries. I wouldn't argue for $5!

Reply 4 of 6, by El nostalgico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ehhhhhhhhhh joystick bleeeeeeeeee for what no no no

Yes i recomand analog one because many and many years ago father bought to me a digital one hehe. I have never configure it right hehe. And seriously I can tell you that i dont know any person whose have PC and play games with joystick.

On my old ZX i playd every game with joy but not PC.

I have already sliped my fingers to cursor keys.

I use four fingers this is my best nalogosdigitalos joistickos:
thumb - down
forefinger - left
middle - up
and finger next to little finger (i dont know right english name in my language it is prstennik - ring finger because weddings ring) - right

And remember your finger are for free(ware) 😁

Reply 5 of 6, by ribbon13

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For all my PC gaming I use a dual shock psx type controller with a nice usb adapter. The cheap ones have a lag/latency issue. Nothing like a PSX controller.

Reply 6 of 6, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These days I have a variety of joysticks. I never found just one that works for all games. I have a USB Logitech Extreme 3D pro that I use for flight games and Mechwarrior and the like. Then I have a dual action gamepad from Logitech that I use for the action/platform games. I also have an X-arcade I use for MAME and arcade games sometimes. Then I also have a steering wheel for the racing games. At least USB makes it easy to switch joysticks, and with DOSbox USB support works great for the classic PC games.