VOGONS

First post, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im wondering how Retro PC users clean there PC's?

Can's of compressed air for dust removal? Vacuums? What is the safest and best method for removing dust.

Sticky substances on a motherboard...70% + Alcohol? A damp cloth? What do you guys recommend.

How do you keep your 16 bit ISA slots clean?

Corrosion removal?

Is there anyway to bring your yellowed quad speed cd-rom drive back to its original colour?

Reply 1 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your parts are corroded, you should probably get new parts. There are limits.

rgart wrote:

Is there anyway to bring your yellowed quad speed cd-rom drive back to its original colour?

That's an easy one: http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/ .

Reply 2 of 28, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As retro hradware comes to me, I take it to the bathroom and clean it with a painting brush and A LOT of soap. I don't seem to need canned air since the brush is very flexible and if it can't reach somewhere, water surely can. Moreover, a lot of my hardware was originally covered in some nasty fatty substance, which is totally removed that way. Hardware shines and looks as good as new as a result 😀
P1010378.JPG
And I use domestos for cases... It does not make parts white, but it works.

Reply 3 of 28, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The canned air is good for getting water out from underneath surface-mounted IC's. It can get stuck there by capillary action.

Or leave it for a few days to dry by evaporation. 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 28, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember the guys on BadCaps just throw boards in the dish-washer, but they depopulate the board of capacitors, first since capacitors are not necessarily sealed, even surface-mount varieties.

Reply 5 of 28, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My favourite cleaning supplies are dishwashing soap, isopropanol and brake cleaner. Especially brake cleaner is great for removing greasy or sticky stuff, but keep it away from rubber or silicone parts (like floppy drive belts and keyboard rubber domes). A hard toothbrush and paper towels are useful tools as well.

If you have corroded parts, probably the easiest way is to sand or grind the rust away. There are other methods like chemicals or reverse electrolysis but in my experience these aren't worth the time and effort.

To remove dust I usually use an air compressor and vacuum cleaner at the same time. Point both at the dusty spots and you'll get most of it out, almost never everything though. If you're dusting out a whole PC make sure to disconnect the fans first, they might generate some voltage when you spin them with compressed air.

Reply 6 of 28, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:
As retro hradware comes to me, I take it to the bathroom and clean it with a painting brush and A LOT of soap. I don't seem to n […]
Show full quote

As retro hradware comes to me, I take it to the bathroom and clean it with a painting brush and A LOT of soap. I don't seem to need canned air since the brush is very flexible and if it can't reach somewhere, water surely can. Moreover, a lot of my hardware was originally covered in some nasty fatty substance, which is totally removed that way. Hardware shines and looks as good as new as a result 😀
P1010378.JPG
And I use domestos for cases... It does not make parts white, but it works.

I use a tooth brush, i apply a dot of soap to the bristles every few minutes. Since i work with newer / modern circuit boards i use i distilled water and most of the time it's because something got spilled on the board.

I also sand down the contacts on ram modules with clean white printer paper in machines that don't post from time to time.

Reply 7 of 28, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

😳 I see, so it is actually possible to wash electronic board with water, as long as you dry it properly, am I correct?

Anyway, I'm not sure if the story is true or not, but some years ago I heard about some guy (friend of a friend) who loves to collect motherboard, and he cleans them by briefly dip the board in boiling water. Like I said, it is a friend of a friend, so I cannot verify whether the story is true or not. Is it possible to briefly dip electronic boards in boiling water without damaging the components?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 8 of 28, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not all components are that sensitive. Depends on amount of time in the water. Electrolit capacitors don't like hot area.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 9 of 28, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

100% of my hardware survived the soap+water washing. 24 hours on central heaters is enough to get anything hot and dry.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman, you shocked me 😁 I don't think any motherboard with electrolytic capacitors would survive this.

Reply 10 of 28, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

😳 I see, so it is actually possible to wash electronic board with water, as long as you dry it properly, am I correct?

Anyway, I'm not sure if the story is true or not, but some years ago I heard about some guy (friend of a friend) who loves to collect motherboard, and he cleans them by briefly dip the board in boiling water. Like I said, it is a friend of a friend, so I cannot verify whether the story is true or not. Is it possible to briefly dip electronic boards in boiling water without damaging the components?

just don't use any thing but, distilled or de-ionized for modern stuff. tap water will deposit minerals that will short stuff out since it's so small and tightly packed in.

Reply 11 of 28, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

100% of my hardware survived the soap+water washing. 24 hours on central heaters is enough to get anything hot and dry ...

Same here. I even wash PSUs with no problems thus far.

The key is a complete drying up before replugging.

Let the air flow!

Reply 12 of 28, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perfect!

I was just going to post a thread about whether all these videos pf Scrubbing Bubbles to clean PC parts were legit. I've rescued cell phones before by cleaning in tap water->thorough rinse in distilled water [to remove minerals]->thorough cleanse in high grade rubbing alcohol [to dilute the water to the point it evaporates quickly].

I'm eager to clean up a bunch on the old parts and glad to see soap can be used without problem...

Reply 13 of 28, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Drying it properly, and using soaps that don't leave behind any residue.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 14 of 28, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Stick it all in the dishwasher, but make sure you DON'T let it go through the dry cycle as it's too hot 😉.

Reply 15 of 28, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PowerPie5000 wrote:

Stick it all in the dishwasher, but make sure you DON'T let it go through the dry cycle as it's too hot 😉.

There are abrasive particles in dishwasher liquid that might actually damage the components.

Reply 16 of 28, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never wash and rarely clean. I am not a fan of a lot of dust in machines but that is about it. I would rather play games than clean. 😀

Reply 17 of 28, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

I never wash and rarely clean. I am not a fan of a lot of dust in machines but that is about it. I would rather play games than clean. 😀

Nothing wrong with a bit of cleaning 🤣

Outdoors or smokers salvage you rather clean before even letting it in your home 😵
The other eew factor is when a machine turns up in the shop that is loaded with roaches D:

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 18 of 28, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

The other eew factor is when a machine turns up in the shop that is loaded with roaches D:

I've been working on computers for about 7 or 8 years now and I'm thankful that I've never had one come in that was loaded with roaches. I've seen YouTube videos in the past where people were removing live roaches from computers. No joke.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 19 of 28, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an air compressor so give the hardware a good blow over. For stubborn dirt, I have a bottle of goo remover. I put a couple of drops on a piece of tissue or a clean rag and then give it a wipe over and then use the dry part of the rag to wipe it down. After that I give it a blow over again. Don't feel comfortable dipping my hardware in water and the mentioned method makes my hardware look as good as new anyway so there's no need. Plus, with this method there's no waiting around for it to dry.