VOGONS

Worth Keeping early socket 7 Motherboards?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you live in Illinois? Because we have the same ordinance. 🙁

Also there are shit tons of scrappers where I am as well. Whenever I go to the recycling drop off there is always a few smashed TV's. 🙁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 21 of 25, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Next state over 🤣 .
I don't understand scrappers.
Not when there are plenty of factory jobs available that pay more, and are easy to get.

Reply 22 of 25, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Whenever I go to the recycling drop off there is always a few smashed TV's. 🙁

The basic solid state CRT TVs are nothing worth saving. There is a pile of them at the thrift store for the scrappers every day.
Unfortunately they used to pile the computers there as well but now they give me first dibs.Although I am starting to turn down any P4 machines (running low on space)
Apparently some P1 class stuff got scrapped before I could get there some months ago 😠

Reply 23 of 25, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
King_Corduroy wrote:

Do you live in Illinois? Because we have the same ordinance. 🙁

I'm in Southern California; used to like living here, but nowadays not so much 😐

I actually beat a scrapper to the punch a little over a year ago when I went to visit my sister in the city of Corona. Her husband had a small collection of old PC hardware from the mid 90's to early 2000's, and had talked to a scrapper earlier to come over and take all of it. When she told me that I went to talk to her husband and managed to convince him to let me take a look first and take whatever I wanted. I ended up grabbing almost everything, including an Antec KS-288 ATX case that I now use for my Socket 7 build; the scrapper only got the burned-out remains of an old AT case and a broken external Iomega Ditto tape drive. I've gone back a couple more times since then and have picked the place completely clean. It actually felt good to give the virtual finger to someone like the scrappers 😜

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 24 of 25, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NICE! I love that! It should be illegal to do what those scrappers do, they destroy everything just for some paper currency that will be devalued over time anyhow. 😒

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 25 of 25, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It actually felt good to give the virtual finger to someone like the scrappers

Feel the same way here.