VOGONS

Reply 22 of 45, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

GASP!! It is 114$ on eBay. And that's the cheapest one of 3.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultima-Worlds-of-Adventur … 118118005r29580

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 23 of 45, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bluewyvern wrote:

I did download the game from Abandonia, but there should be nothing physically different about the program, since I still had to have the correct copy protection answers to continue -- so no, it's not cracked.

This makes trying to fix your problem a complete waste of time. You can't be sure your pirated version is complete and/or untouched. Get the original, and try again.

Reply 24 of 45, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

GASP!! It is 114$ on eBay. And that's the cheapest one of 3.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultima-Worlds-of-Adventur … 118118005r29580

That's for just the disks too. No box, manual, map, etc... Keep looking though, the seller in this case is always over-pricing his stuff like that. I got my Martian Dreams for around $30 (with shipping.) And it came with all the bells and whistles too 😀

Feeding Dragon

Reply 25 of 45, by bluewyvern

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm afraid I was wrong about the symptoms again. It isn't thirteen saves -- I just happened to take that many times to end up in the same spot where it keeps happening. It hangs when I try to save anywhere in the vicinity of the 1893 landing. I was able to save 40+ times before approaching that spot, which was where I crashed the first time around.

That's why I couldn't get it to crash inside the capsule. It doesn't have anything to do with the copy protection, it looks like it's somehow tied to the map.

I can't remember where I was the very first time the crash save happened (when I tried years ago), but it's possible it was also the 1893 landing.

I suppose it will be possible in the future to try to play mindfully and never save near this area -- which might work as long as I don't forget, or don't stray too near, or there aren't any other sites in the game that cause the save crash. Maybe this last symptom will help pinpoint the problem, though.

Sorry for the patchy reporting. Testing has been a little slow, since I have to delete and reinstall the program every time I manage to reproduce my bug.

Reply 26 of 45, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Delete and re-install? Just Zip the C-drive folder before you run, test, delete folder, unzip.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 27 of 45, by bluewyvern

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, that's what I'm doing -- I unpack the zip file, run INSTALL, create a character, crash the game, delete the folder, then unzip a new one, run setup again, and create a new character. It's not especially laborious, it's just some steps that take extra time between tests.

Reply 30 of 45, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm thinking Addict said what is the solution here:

This makes trying to fix your problem a complete waste of time. You can't be sure your pirated version is complete and/or untouched. Get the original, and try again.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 32 of 45, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

sure but my willingness to test this with my legal version is not very high when the chance is that the problem is only because of a bad rip or a bad copy protection crack...

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 33 of 45, by Wethrin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I apologize for resurrecting a long dead thread, but I was wondering if anyone has ever found a solution to this issue. I am running into the same thing with a legitimate copy (from GOG). The game began freezing almost immediately after I started playing it in the same area described above. It freezes when saving and while walking through the overworld map. The walking freeze does not appear to be random as it has always happened in the same general location. When it freezes the music continues as normal, the game just stops responding to inputs. There is a similar thread on the GOG forums and I tried some of those suggestions, but no solution has yet been helpful. Any feedback from someone who has run into this issue and hopefully overcome it would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Reply 35 of 45, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
philscomputerlab wrote:

Doesn't GOG sell this game?

Yes, and the newest post in this thread mentions that he's already purchased it there and started tech support on their forums to no avail.
Every other post in this thread is from 2008.

Wethrin.... *thwap* Ya know, you coulda made a new thread and linked to this one. We have arguments on the greater forums here (not this subforum) over whether bumping ancient threads or doing the former is better all the time, but as a moderator, making a new thread and linking to the ancient one is my preference. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 36 of 45, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Try disabling music 😉

Reply 37 of 45, by Wethrin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Stiletto: One would think that with all of the forums I have lurked on in the past I would have picked up better forum etiquette. 😀 I apologize for the mistake. If I have another question like this I will make sure I start a new thread rather than resurrect an old one! Thank you for the feedback.

Dominus: Thank you for the suggestion. I tried disabling both music and sound effects in game, but unfortunately it still froze in the same spot. I appreciate the advice anyway!

Reply 38 of 45, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Do you have a save point just prior to where the game hangs? If you zip up the SAVEGAME directory and attach it here, that should make it easier to reproduce the problem, and perhaps it can then be determined if there is an issue with the game or with DOSBox. In the GOG release, are the game files decompressed or not? The main game directory will have ~3.5MB of files if they are compressed, ~5.5MB if decompressed.

Reply 39 of 45, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Good idea about compressed vs uncompressed. Something I could try if we have a savegame.