VOGONS

fiancee has given me a limit

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 47, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Athlon/P4/Opteron systems are the least needed commodity when it comes to retro computing. Dual boot XP on you main machine, sell them out and don't regret. Perhaps you could make more money out of them if you sell them by parts.

Reply 41 of 47, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

Athlon/P4/Opteron systems are the least needed commodity when it comes to retro computing. Dual boot XP on you main machine, sell them out and don't regret. Perhaps you could make more money out of them if you sell them by parts.

Least needed but mostly used, I think I talk for everyone with a nice running socket 939 XP setup 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 42 of 47, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are there any utilities that mask the CPUID so the proc. on the main machine would identify itself as GenuineIntel? If so, you might get arround the issues of it not supporting 3DNow! and make it a viable XP gaming machine though dual boot.

Reply 43 of 47, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
candle_86 wrote:
r.cade wrote:

If she is only your Fiance, this is not a good start. Dump her now before you waste money and years on someone who wants you to follow her rules and change you.

no its a problem of space, once we can afford a house, she doesn't care. Right now its a 2 bedroom apartment, me and her have the master bedroom, her daughter has the other one. This leaves my computers sitting in our living space taking up space and getting in the way of daily life, its why I don't have a 3rd desk and a 3rd LCD currently, I thought about a KVM but a good KVM only goes so far and wont for instance transfer over things like game port devices, and usb game controllers, and most wont support sending out a 5.1 audio signal or even have good audio quality or I'd have done a KVM 🤣. But me and her already talked and I do agree with her, and when we can afford a house, I will get either a room for my hobby or the garage if we buy a house with one. So leaving her over this seems rather foolish.

I was going to +1 r.cade, but once the issue of space became the actual reason... You should have started there, not by blaming the woman.

Personally, sell everything that you know you will be able to re-acquire. Then go from there.

I did state space re read the first post 🤣.

As for changing the cpuid I can look and see if thats possible to have it seen as intel instead of AMD.

RacoonRider wrote:

The P4 is gone, here is what is happening with the rest

Pentium 3 is going to my buddy, he is comming by today to hand me 100 bucks for it, he wants to play his old games, and that system will work great for him, he is just going to toss his Radeon 9600 into it that Visiontek states will support AGP 3.3V 1.0 slots so hes good, the Athlon XP is the only extra left, I tossed its case out, but kept the board/cpu/ram and put them in an anti static bag, minus the cooler because socketA coolers are easy to get still, and then I duck tapped it on the back panel of my main PC, that antec Elevenhundred has enough room to hide a motherboard 🤣. So its all out of the way now.

Reply 44 of 47, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

Least needed but mostly used, I think I talk for everyone with a nice running socket 939 XP setup 😀

^^^This!..🤣 Mine is socket 754 now but soon to be a 939.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 46 of 47, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote:

The P4 is gone, here is what is happening with the rest

Pentium 3 is going to my buddy, he is comming by today to hand me 100 bucks for it, he wants to play his old games, and that system will work great for him, he is just going to toss his Radeon 9600 into it that Visiontek states will support AGP 3.3V 1.0 slots so hes good, the Athlon XP is the only extra left, I tossed its case out, but kept the board/cpu/ram and put them in an anti static bag, minus the cooler because socketA coolers are easy to get still, and then I duck tapped it on the back panel of my main PC, that antec Elevenhundred has enough room to hide a motherboard 🤣. So its all out of the way now.

Well done!!

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 47 of 47, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

Tell me about it, I wrote that post from an AthlonXP myself 😁 Still I think you can do more with older stuff than with AthlonXP/P4 and above.