VOGONS

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So i've been putting together a machine for Windows XP. I just have a few questions on the video and sound card options

for video right now I have a PCIe Geforce 9800GTX+ OC 1gb card. this thing was a monster for its day and its actually only recently I replaced it with a GTX 960. I'm trying to pretty much cover as much as the XP era as possible so early 2002ish to maybe 2008 or so with this machine so compatibility is a high priority followed by speed. so 9800 to fast? to slow? any particular drivers I should be using?

for the sound card I'm using a PCI SB X-Fi. I don't recall the model off the top of my head but it has its own RAM i think. Is there any advantage to using a PCIe sound card?

Reply 1 of 2, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

9800 should be fine. my own xp rig is running an 8800gt, realtek 889a and e8500. drivers are 175.13 whql. it blasts through the entire era you're interested in.

Reply 2 of 2, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got a new XP build in my lab/ H61 chipset board, 2.6 GHz Pentium, Two 2 GB sticks of RAM, a GTX 275 and a PCIe X-Fi Titanium.

I am still testing out games and I want to look at using AA/AF to improve the graphics and how that affects performance.

I ran some benchmarks though:

53099 for 3DMark2001 SE and 52388 for 3DMark2003 seems to be plenty of performance.

YouTube, Facebook, Website