Most memorable games you've played

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 24, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PC only:

Oldies:

Tyrian: By far, my all-time favourite shoot'em up. The plot is detailed and rich, there's TONS of weapons, ships and secrets. Fun to replay endlessly.

Wolfenstein 3D: Being the grand-grandfather of FPS (although I"d attribute modern FPS lineage to Doom), simple and precise mechanics and a brisk pacing makes it enjoyable to anyone without any FPS experience.

Constructor: Even though it's buggy (you can't finish some missions on the 1000-year mode) it's a very fun and challenging game. Even nowadays its graphics are quite OK since they went with a cartoonish style. Too bad the sequel (Street Wars) wasn't par (heck, not even 10%) with the original.

Doom/Doom 2: Fast-paced gory-action that never gets old.

Mech Warrior 2: Fighting 50-ton iron hulks done the right way. Graphics are a bit simple nowadays, but the combat is great.

Twinsen's Odyssey (Little Big Adventure 2): An incredibly detailed world packed with lots of secrets, enemies, conspiracies

Not-so-oldies:

Jagged Alliance 2: The pinnacle of Turn-based Strategy. Non-linearity is great and the challenge increases as you capture more cities. There's still an active community that released a non-official patch (v1.13) with tons of improvement over the vanilla game.

Half-Life: An immense overthrow at most action-packed FPS. Being slower paced and more story-driven than most titles back then, it was one of the greatest gaming experiences I've had.

Newish:

Modern Warfare/Modern Warfare 2: Game-that-would-pass-for-a-movie done the right way in every aspect. Too bad the series declined sharp after MW2, being MW3 my greatest gaming disappointment ever.

Reply 22 of 24, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 7th Guest - Lots of fond memories, one of the first games I played intensively with my dad. Loved the story and George Sanger's soundtrack.

Mechwarrior 2 (original flat-shaded version) - Truly felt like piloting a 'Mech; much more sim-like and immersive than later installments. GREAT atmosphere helped along by the excellent narrative and Jeehun Hwang's fantastic music.

Space Quest IV - Tied with part III. Later on I really appreciated the clever humor, but at the time I took it as a serious sci-fi epic.

Dune 2 (and 2000) - Two words: Frank Klepacki. Doesn't hurt I really like the novel(s) and Lynch movie as well.

TIE Fighter - The best of the Lawrence Holland games. Great sim, great story. The Imperial Navy - Inner Circle dynamic was a fantastic concept.

Dark Forces - The first game that really made me feel I was *in* an actual Star Wars movie.

Half-Life - No further explanation needed 😀

Descent 2 - All the good from D1, but more, better and more cinematic.

Wing Commander 2 - Loved Thrakath / the Kilrathi as scary bad guys with their own evil musical theme.

Total Annihilation - Epic scale, great music (Jeremy Soul's best imho).

Primordia - A relatively recent game by Wadjet Eye / Wormwood Studios. Truly amazing story and setting.

Reply 23 of 24, by autoexecdotbat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

donkey kong64: probably the first game I played with my dad. he completed the hell out of this one.
super smash bros. meylei: first game I played intensively with my brother. numerous unlockables, tite action, and all your favorite nintendo characters duking it out.

to win the game you must defeat coppa!
http://chng.it/DNc2L8LvLJ