Hello i am new and this is my retro PC

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mkubiak402 wrote:

The only thing holding me back form completing the Pentium Pro is the lack of AGP video the only video card i have for it is a ATI 9100 and driver support for it SUCKS! all most every game i try tells me there is no 3d accelerator and i cant run NT4.0 at all with that card no drivers 🙁 and windows 2000 seems to be running slow ish...
i don't know what i want to do with it yet i love the ida of having one of them running is nice.. I was going to have it run a PFsense but the OS will not install... so i have to shop for the fasts PCI card i can fined but there $$$$ on Ebay...
i had a chance to get a matched par for Pentium II over driver 333 5 years a go for $120 😠

Something like a pci TNT2 M64 would be a good match for price/compatibility for the PPro setup, or possibly a Geforce 2 mx pci. Far as I know they never made a Socket 8 board with AGP.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 21 of 24, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if the boards had PCI 66MHz that would be very helpful for a card with support (like a voodoo 4/5 PCI)

Reply 22 of 24, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mkubiak402 wrote:
it is reporting the motherboard wrong.... as an FIC it is not lol […]
Show full quote

it is reporting the motherboard wrong.... as an FIC it is not 🤣

20160715_225034_zps1okrlhea.jpg

That's funny.. I have an (actual) FIC PT-2200 and that detection isn't even close. The PT-2200 is an Intel 430HX Baby-AT board, different manufacturers, chipsets, features.. they have nothing in common except being socket-7. I don't know how that detection is trying to work but it is on some definite crack here.

To check the cacheable RAM there's a utility I saw referenced in another thread. Rather than trying to find the link I'll just post the file. This is a DOS program. On my MVP3 board it gave a plausible result so I think it works. Memtest86 tries to report this info also but gets it wrong.

Reply 23 of 24, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The official Diablo 2 Patch supports playing without CD's for awhile now.
http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/diab … sed_no_cd_patch

The link isn't for the most recent patch but its still the same if you simply download the latest and greatest.

Your modem story reminded me of when I took my PC round to a mates place and used both his phone lines to have a modem game. Cant even remember why we did that, as we definitely had a null modem cable with us?
We definitely had a few Doom and C&C games over modem as well after school, and in different houses...much more sence
ahh simple times 😀

Reply 24 of 24, by mkubiak402

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:
The official Diablo 2 Patch supports playing without CD's for awhile now. http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/diab … sed_no […]
Show full quote

The official Diablo 2 Patch supports playing without CD's for awhile now.
http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/diab … sed_no_cd_patch

The link isn't for the most recent patch but its still the same if you simply download the latest and greatest.

Your modem story reminded me of when I took my PC round to a mates place and used both his phone lines to have a modem game. Cant even remember why we did that, as we definitely had a null modem cable with us?
We definitely had a few Doom and C&C games over modem as well after school, and in different houses...much more sence
ahh simple times 😀

i tried that patch and i started to get dll errors

DOS 6.22 FIC-486-VIP-IO AM486-DX2 66Mhz 64mg
Win98se MS-5169 AMD K6-III+ 450 @ 550Mhz 512mg Voodoo 5 5500.
Win98se GA-6VXE7+ Intel Pentium III 750 512mg Voodoo 5 5500.
Win XP MS-6712 AMD Athlon Xp 2700+ 2gb 6600GT