VOGONS

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When buying CD or DVD drive for DOS computers, you would want a drive with 4-pin or 2-pin audio output connector (what do you call it, RGGL?), so you can connect it to your sound card, in order to hear redbook audio CD music in DOS games that have it. However, the problem with buying CD or DVD drive in ebay is that not every seller provide complete pictures of the drive they're selling, so you cannot see the back of the drive to confirm whether the needed connector exists.

Is there any rule of thumb that you can use, to make sure you buy the CD/DVD drive with audio out connector? For examples:

"DVD drives faster than 16x usually don't have 4-pin audio output connector, so the safest bet are those with 8x speed and below."

Or.

"No SATA drive has 4-pin audio output connector."

Or.

"Plextor drives always have 4-pin audio output connector regardless."

Or.

"LG drives rarely has 4-pin audio output connector, even the older 8x speed drives."

Does such rule of thumb exist? Or is looking at the back of the drive the only way to find out? It seems to me all CD drive (CD only, not DVD) always has 4-pin (or even 2-pin) audio output connector, but I prefer to be able to use DVD drives for my DOS computers.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 25, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm pretty sure any IDE optical drive except for really early ones would support standard ATAPI drivers like the famous Oak one. This is a case where getting a period-correct one can introduce compatibility issues.

wp0kyr-2.png CALIFORNIA_RAYZEN
1wpfky-2.png REDBOX
3q6x0e-2.png FUNKENSTEIN_3D

Reply 2 of 25, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any drive up to 2005 has the 4-pin analog audio connector. Then, it started to disappear slowly. Some OEM drives I've seen lack it, too - but you'll probably not run across these. If in doubt, simply don't buy a drive. And you can always ask the seller.

Reply 3 of 25, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Rule of thumb as far as I'm concerned is an IDE CD/DVD drive almost always has 4 pin and sometimes (late CD drives) or most of the time (DVD) 2pin audio connectors, SATA almost always has neither. Also I think pre IDE CD drives should be avoided.

I do not know how it is with SCSI CD drives, never had one.

Reply 4 of 25, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just do not buy LG 222 series drives, those are the most common, and the most cheapest, and do not read all discs.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 5 of 25, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Koltoroc wrote:

Rule of thumb as far as I'm concerned is an IDE CD/DVD drive almost always has 4 pin and sometimes (late CD drives) or most of the time (DVD) 2pin audio connectors, SATA almost always has neither. Also I think pre IDE CD drives should be avoided.

I do not know how it is with SCSI CD drives, never had one.

SCSI optical drives require SCSI-compatible sound cards for CD audio. Even if you're using SCSI hard drives your optical drive should be IDE.

wp0kyr-2.png CALIFORNIA_RAYZEN
1wpfky-2.png REDBOX
3q6x0e-2.png FUNKENSTEIN_3D

Reply 6 of 25, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think the analog audio output is functional in all newer drives that still had the connector present, so maybe don't go by pictures or outward descriptions alone.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 7 of 25, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

Any drive up to 2005 has the 4-pin analog audio connector. Then, it started to disappear slowly. Some OEM drives I've seen lack it, too - but you'll probably not run across these. If in doubt, simply don't buy a drive. And you can always ask the seller.

firage wrote:

I don't think the analog audio output is functional in all newer drives that still had the connector present, so maybe don't go by pictures or outward descriptions alone.

Hmm... Just what I thought. It's probably a hit and miss thing. Also, less and less ebay seller replies to your inquiry these days, especially wholesale computer parts sellers.

I also had several DVD drives at my SOHO, of varying vendors and models. And yes, the availability (or the lack thereof) of 4 pin audio output connector varies wildly between models.

How about certain brands and models? Are there certain brands/models that can be considered safe bet?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 8 of 25, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is not one to my knowledge. TBH, I don't care what drive I'm using, so as long as it works and won't be greif to find drivers for. I find myself more often than not lately looking for drivers before I purchase the device in question and verifying specs because there's a lot of stuff that turns up at thrift shops that's old PC hardware some person probably dumped because they could not find the Matsushita drivers for it or can't figure out where to get a card for some obscure old interface from 1992.

Typically this is what I abide by...

Anything 386 or above = IDE - CD/DVD-ROM or RW, hell, a multi-format drive, I don't care. Just as long as it's plain' ole 40 pin IDE with the six pin Master/Slave/Cable Select jumper setup, I'm happy. Plus I have about 4-5 IDE CD-ROM drivers to use including the one that came with my first in 2001 - a 52X EPO I bought new at EB Games for $25.00 for my first Windows PC - a cobbled together 486 DX-33 that's responsible for me getting into this crazy hobby in the first place.

Anything 286 = SCSI, just put a SCSI CD-ROM on my 286, one of the best decisions I've made in awhile because being as it's a rather beefy 286 it can indeed run some things that require or come on CD.

Anything 8086/80186/80188/8088 should not have a CD-ROM, not like it's really all that useful, and if I want to listen to tunes with the 8088, spinning some LPs on the turntable makes more sense anyway for a more authentic early 80's experience.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 9 of 25, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Woolie Wool wrote:
Koltoroc wrote:

SCSI optical drives require SCSI-compatible sound cards for CD audio. Even if you're using SCSI hard drives your optical drive should be IDE.

Why do you need a special audio card to read analog sound from SCSI optical drives? You may need a special cable with some older drives, but I don't know why the choice of audio card may be a problem.

ETA: Actually, this reminds me of a problem I had with this drive: [SOLVED] CD Audio cable question

Last edited by Errius on 2018-03-03, 01:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 10 of 25, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

don't think about those 52x+ drives. That was my last rule of thumb for CD-ROM drives. There was a widespread fear about those physically destroying discs. Many manufacturers put out 48x drives during that time.

My go-to brand WAS Creative.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 25, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

How about certain brands and models? Are there certain brands/models that can be considered safe bet?

I have a pair of LTD-163 drives and love them to death.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 12 of 25, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've also had good luck with older Lite-On drives, but I've also had good luck with Panasonic, Samsung, Mitsumi, NEC, Creative, LG. The drives that I have had the worst luck with and seen the most failures from are Sony drives and this is multiple occasions. That being said I don't even think that sony and for that matter a lot of other companies manufactured their own drives, they only did firmware and stickers. Creative is probably one of those companies.

Reply 13 of 25, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

don't think about those 52x+ drives. That was my last rule of thumb for CD-ROM drives. There was a widespread fear about those physically destroying discs. Many manufacturers put out 48x drives during that time.

My go-to brand WAS Creative.

Didn't someone test that and find that you had to get disks up to (excluding disks that already had small cracks) up to 23,000 RPM (or as I like to call it, 100x speed) to shatter a disk?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 14 of 25, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

52x drives shattering disks is fake news.

Reply 15 of 25, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unless they're already flawed or damaged in some way.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 16 of 25, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I prefer SHSUCDX

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 17 of 25, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Unless they're already flawed or damaged in some way.

well if you use the drives for retro stuff, I wouldn't trust the material of 20+ year old CDs to be in pristine condition anymore.

Reply 18 of 25, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depends how they were stored. But i still think it can't happen scientifically speaking.

Reply 19 of 25, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A long time ago, I had a CD drive with volume control and some buttons on the panel (Play/Pause, Next, Previous and Stop). I guess every drive with those buttons will surely have internal audio output.

As a bonus, those drives will surely be quiet... because I've never seen a 16x or faster drive with play buttons.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!