VOGONS

First post, by dougan78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am testing a YMF744 card (Aopen one) on a T5720 thinclient in dos to see what works. So far 0 games work. I am running dos 6.22. I used the SIS version of the setupds.exe and drivers. The setupds when run lets me run the tests and I can here music and stuff from all the test options (fm sound, 8bit 16 bit etc). So not sure where I am going wrong here.

Doom.exe crashes and requires hard reboot. With dos32a doom.exe it doesnt do anything except give a message about being indeterminate.
Heretic Loads and gets to 100% and locks up the pc and needs a hard reboot.
Witchaven runs and sound tests work. Game works for a bit and then locks hard and requires a reboot.

Tested dsdma as well and loading emm386. no dice with any games with that. Was hoping to get this sound stuff sorted to see if I could test dos networking next. Been a while since I played with this stuff. Thanks for any help!

Reply 1 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using the PCI riser with the thinclient or just plugging straight into the PCI slot on the motherboard?

If using the riser card, see here for the fix:
Low volume out of Cobra AW744L II card

Also, if using the riser without the capacitors I am surprised that you are getting sound at all. Phil did get sound at first and then when he re-tried it there was no sound.

I would like pics of your riser as well as the motherboard if that is the case.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 7, by dougan78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Excellent. I have the one with the riser. I do get sound it is soft. That was on my list to bring up if I could get a game to work. I figured out why the games were not working. I disabled all of the onboard devices one by one and determined that the on board nic was causing the crashes. Once the nic was disabled doom worked and I got sound as well. Adding the caps is a rather minor thing so I can do that no problem. I was hoping to test LAN but that doesn't look to be possible atm. Any one get one of these things working with a sound card and the network controller enabled?

Reply 3 of 7, by dougan78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Will post pics later of the riser and mobo later tonight if you still want that. Thanks for you help btw.

Reply 4 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The really soft sound with a lot of background noise is what I was getting before I installed the caps so I don't really need pics after all.

Be sure to give an update once you get the caps installed. I think you will like it a lot once that is done.

And you are very welcome.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 7, by dougan78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It’s a shame this machine is almost perfect for this stuff. Win98 is fine. But I care about dos lan play. Having to disable the onboard lan kills this project for me. Unless someone knows how to make that work with a sound card. If not will just see if I can have it sit in the corner and run a majorBBS for me, so I can play telearena or mutants if I want.

Reply 7 of 7, by dougan78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I gave up on gaming on this thing for the time being. I had fun playing around with it so no loss there. I went back to dosbox-x for my dos lan gaming needs instead which works well for my needs. I think I will use the thinclient to run a instance of MajorBBS for myself and others to enjoy in the not to distant future. Thanks for you help @cyclone3d.