VOGONS

First post, by aphuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I run my legacy application from within DOS box and it appears to work fine until the application tries to use the serial port (COM1).

I have used this application and serial cable before (from other PCs running a 'real' DOS session ) and it works OK. The application opens the com port and communications start and away I go

What foolish thing am I doing wrong within DOSbox?

Reply 1 of 11, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Download a CVS build (explained many times in this forum so I'm not going to repeat it), then say serial1=directserial in the dosbox.conf [serial] section.

tearex

Reply 2 of 11, by aphuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thank you. Will search out the CVS (whatever that may be, I am about to find out)

Reply 3 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

See the link in my sig.

Reply 4 of 11, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, questions about directserial seem to get quite abundant. Perhaps we should make some information available in a sticky thread.

Reply 5 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was thinking the same thing. If someone wants to write something up as a new thread, I'll gladly sticky it.

Reply 6 of 11, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have written something up, though I'm not exactly an expert. Should this go into the Guides section or should it be stickied in Dosbox General?

Reply 7 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Definitely General in my opinion, as it needs to be as visible as possible.

Reply 8 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually maybe it should be included in the DOSBox FAQ thread here in General?

Reply 9 of 11, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I posted it before your second answer. Move it where you deem it most appropriate.

Reply 10 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll leave it stickied here in General for now. It's too long to be part of the FAQ thread and should stand on its own. Thanks again.

Reply 11 of 11, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I hope there will be some comments since I wrote it quickly and there may be errors or things confusing newbies.