VOGONS

First post, by Googolplexian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I bought a Voodoo2 card, but I noticed there are different cards from Creative CT6670.

One with full PCI pins and one with some pins missing. What is the difference and which card is better?

1174.jpg
$_57.JPG

Last edited by Googolplexian on 2020-08-20, 07:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Take a guess.

Reply 3 of 4, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are no pins missing at all. If You look close enough You will see the "non missing" pins aren't connected to anything.
I just counted them. There are 11 pins connected to nothing and the bottom card has the same 11 missing pins.

Likely Creative used a couple of different board manufacturers and on the card with all the pins they simply just didn't
delete them in whatever pcb software they used.

I have some Commodore Vic 20 cartridges, some had all the pins present, some left off the pins that never went anywhere.

Another point is the top card looks like a Marketing photo, not necessarily the real retail sale product.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 4 of 4, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well if your card works, nothing to worry about. I doubt pcb revisions make any practical difference.