VOGONS

First post, by sniperhgy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to execute the statement "imgmount c windows95.img -t hdd -ide 1m", get the error message "The image must be on a host or local drive.", also tried to add the full path to the iso file. I can make sure the file does exist, could some one teach me how to do it? Thank you.

cap1.JPG
cap2.JPG

The same statement can execute succesfully in DOSBOX SVN - DAUM.

Reply 1 of 5, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want to run Win9x, and have support for niceties like CD-ROM support, then have a look at DOSBox-X instead. There are instructions on the DOSBox-X Wiki on how to install various Windows version.

Right now, depending on your host system, it can be a bit slow for late era Win9x games, since you need to run with core=normal. But there is active development to improve the dynamic core to allow it to run Win9x which will improve matters.

Reply 2 of 5, by sniperhgy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
_Rob wrote on 2021-01-17, 17:18:

If you want to run Win9x, and have support for niceties like CD-ROM support, then have a look at DOSBox-X instead. There are instructions on the DOSBox-X Wiki on how to install various Windows version.

Right now, depending on your host system, it can be a bit slow for late era Win9x games, since you need to run with core=normal. But there is active development to improve the dynamic core to allow it to run Win9x which will improve matters.

Hi _Rob, thank you for your reply, will take a shot on DOSBOX-X, but I still want to know why I can't execute imgmount in DOSBOX ECE.

Reply 3 of 5, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you remove the "-ide 1m" parameter, it should work. I don't know if the -ide parameter is supported by ECE. It is not listed on the dosbox wiki https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/IMGMOUNT

Assuming the filesystem inside the img file is supported (fat16) and created by DOS 5.0 or later (including Win9x), it should just mount. If it is a newer FAT32 filesystem, you will have to use the "-fs none" option, and specify the disk geometry.

DOSBox-X supports FAT32 and does not need such tricks.

Reply 4 of 5, by sniperhgy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
_Rob wrote on 2021-01-18, 08:31:

If you remove the "-ide 1m" parameter, it should work. I don't know if the -ide parameter is supported by ECE. It is not listed on the dosbox wiki https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/IMGMOUNT

Assuming the filesystem inside the img file is supported (fat16) and created by DOS 5.0 or later (including Win9x), it should just mount. If it is a newer FAT32 filesystem, you will have to use the "-fs none" option, and specify the disk geometry.

DOSBox-X supports FAT32 and does not need such tricks.

Finally I give up the DOSBOX ECE and use the DOSBOX-X version, it works well, thank you very much for the suggestion.

Reply 5 of 5, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
_Rob wrote on 2021-01-18, 08:31:

If SVN doesn't support it, then ECE doesn't neither. Else I would have mentioned it in the additional features.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)