VOGONS

First post, by ManiaSonic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it possible to install Windows NT 4.0 on DosBox? DosBox only plz, not QEMU/VBox

Reply 1 of 8, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why ?

Unlikely.

Reply 2 of 8, by ManiaSonic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-04-04, 09:31:

Why ?

Unlikely.

I want to install NT 4.0 on Android. Limbo is not the way to run it for me, and I think DosBox will work fine. I know it wasn't possible in DosBox 10 years ago, but is it possible now?

Reply 3 of 8, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Of the different DOSBox forks, DOSBox-X gets you closest, but I still don't think you will get a fully working WinNT environment.
https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/tree/master/NOTES

Those notes are rather dated, and you may get further with the latest build.
But since there is no Android port, this is irrelevant anyway.

Reply 4 of 8, by ManiaSonic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
_Rob wrote on 2021-04-04, 13:39:
Of the different DOSBox forks, DOSBox-X gets you closest, but I still don't think you will get a fully working WinNT environment […]
Show full quote

Of the different DOSBox forks, DOSBox-X gets you closest, but I still don't think you will get a fully working WinNT environment.
https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/tree/master/NOTES

Those notes are rather dated, and you may get further with the latest build.
But since there is no Android port, this is irrelevant anyway.

It's such a shame, oh. Thank you for this understandable answer.
For PC I have NT 4.0 as one of my multi-boot OSes so I don't need emulators.

Reply 5 of 8, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As far as I know, DOSBox (and its variants) don't support Windows NT 4.0, because it requires bootable CD-ROM support and I don't think that DOSBox has the capability for it. Plus, DOSBox lacks functions that require a fully working Windows NT environment.

So, if you want to install and run Windows NT 4.0, your best choices are Microsoft Virtual PC, VMware Workstation Player, VritualBox or QEMU. 😀

Reply 6 of 8, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ppgrainbow wrote on 2021-04-05, 18:26:

As far as I know, DOSBox (and its variants) don't support Windows NT 4.0, because it requires bootable CD-ROM support and I don't think that DOSBox has the capability for it. Plus, DOSBox lacks functions that require a fully working Windows NT environment.

So, if you want to install and run Windows NT 4.0, your best choices are Microsoft Virtual PC, VMware Workstation Player, VritualBox or QEMU. 😀

There are ways around that. But DOSBox-X does support bootable CD-ROMs. At least bootable Win9x/ME CD-ROMs using the El-Torito emulated floppy disk boot image method.

Reply 7 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ManiaSonic wrote on 2021-04-04, 11:00:

I want to install NT 4.0 on Android.

Why!? I have difficulty imaging any practical purpose for NT 4.0 even on a desktop PC today.

Reply 8 of 8, by GemCookie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-04-05, 23:16:

Why!? I have difficulty imaging any practical purpose for NT 4.0 even on a desktop PC today.

Think of it as a more stable version of Windows 95 with support for more applications (e.g. the QtWeb 3.8.4 backport).

Asus Maximus Extreme X38 | C2Q Q9550 | GTX 750Ti | 8GiB DDR3 | 120GB SSD+640GB HDD | WinXP/7/11
MSI MS-5169 | K6-2 350 | TNT2 M64 | 384MiB PC100 | 120GB HDD | WinXP
Dell Precision M6400 | C2D T9600 | FX2700M | 16GiB | 128GB SSD | Win2k/XP/Vista