VOGONS

First post, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys,

long time no see. I did some testing of this card that's been sitting in a box for years. With one Gigabyte motherboard, it wouldn't even boot. However, I tried this P4 board and got it to boot with artifacts. I take it the card needs a rework?

Cheers,
SainT

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 2 of 7, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fool wrote on 2021-05-18, 17:45:

That card can have one or two poor quality capacitors (was it KZE or KZG?) Those cans usually dries out, although they were fine in my card. Maybe a good point to start from.

Thanks, will swap them out for new ones from Rubycon or Panasonic and see, if it helps 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 3 of 7, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's also could be a bad ram chip and if it's a bridge card the PCI-e to ago bridge could need some active cooling

Reply 4 of 7, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fool wrote on 2021-05-18, 17:45:

That card can have one or two poor quality capacitors (was it KZE or KZG?) Those cans usually dries out, although they were fine in my card. Maybe a good point to start from.

Yes, the original caps are KGZ. I finally got to replacing them with Panasonic FK caps today. Unfortunately I ordered two instead of three caps. Now the video output looks even worse but maybe it also has something to do with the fact I'm testing it in a different motherboard than last time.

BTW, attached a photo of the card itself (taken before the recap). The cap closest to the heatsink is still the same.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 5 of 7, by sirotkaslo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mind telling me which board you're using it with? I have cold boot issues with my nf3 s754 board.

Reply 6 of 7, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sirotkaslo wrote on 2021-08-02, 11:14:

Mind telling me which board you're using it with? I have cold boot issues with my nf3 s754 board.

Sure, it's Gigabyte GA-6VTXE.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 7 of 7, by sirotkaslo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks