VOGONS


Pentium 4 graphics card recommendation

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have tried it on a i7 2600 with integrated gpu and..it's not as fast as I thought

Reply 21 of 23, by versawizkid2002

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
AlessandroB wrote on 2026-06-17, 19:28:

i have tried it on a i7 2600 with integrated gpu and..it's not as fast as I thought

What resolution and RAM configuration were you running? single channel RAM will definitely kill any performance potential. Oh, and since I wrote my last reply I did get a Dell Dimension 5100 with a Pentium 4 HT 521 and ATI Radeon X300 SE HyperMemory... just about the slowest PCIe Radeon out there.

now known as AzuSapphire
"Fun things are fun." - Yui Hirasawa

Reply 22 of 23, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote on 2026-06-12, 13:54:

... 3) The power supply delivers 185W.

What graphics card do you recommend to get the most out of my retro Pentium 4? ...

^ Worringly low wattage for a PSU dealing with a P4 system. Even more so if we start adding power-hungry GPUs ...

Let the air flow!

Reply 23 of 23, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote on 2026-06-12, 13:54:
Today my son and I installed Star Wars: Empire at War on WinXP on my Pentium IV-class retro computer. It's an IBM Pentium 4 with […]
Show full quote

Today my son and I installed Star Wars: Empire at War on WinXP on my Pentium IV-class retro computer. It's an IBM Pentium 4 with a 2.8GHz processor (if I remember correctly) and Nvidia GeForce vanta16. The game didn't launch because my computer said the graphics card was too outdated. Since I'd like to use my collection of retro IBM computers to play (and this Empire at War is the most recent "retro" game I've played so far), I was thinking of upgrading my Pentium 4 to support this game. The required specifications are as follows:

1) This computer doesn't support newer CPUs, but it appears to be a socket 478. Currently it seems to me that it has a 2.4 or 2.8 GHz CPU, perhaps something faster can be installed but you always have to balance the power supply power, also considering the graphics card that I will install that you will recommend.

2) The AGP slot is 1.5V.

3) The power supply delivers 185W.

What graphics card do you recommend to get the most out of my retro Pentium 4?

Thanks.

There is no IBM designed for gaming they were designed for business applications such as office applications, spreadsheets, and web access.
Asking an IBM to be a gaming computer is like asking a Volkswagen to be a Porsche.