Oh no no, you can't use a 800MHz FSB processor on your board. I'm guessing you thought you could just buy a Northwood 3.0 or 3.2 and have it run at those frequencies just with a lower FSB.
That's not the case, as the multiplier is locked on these parts and the frequency is derived by the multiplier x FSB/2 . I'd check your motherboard and revision and then consult a compatibility list. In general, never go for the top model as people tend to ask crazy money. The ones that are just a step or two below that are usually far more reasonably priced.
If indeed your motherboard can only do 400MHz FSB, then I think the Northwood 3.0 is the fastest you can go. The question is are you really missing out on a Northwood 3.0 HT with 800MHz FSB? I can't find any benchmarks at the moment, but I'd expect most games to exhibit roughly ~10% difference in performance, with some maybe approaching 20%. Not insignificant. HyperThreading is not much of a loss for gaming, in fact you're saving yourself a couple of headaches with some games that don't know what to do with the extra thread and crap out and single threaded performance actually drops by 2-3% AFAIR when HyperThreading is enabled.
If indeed you can get a 3.0 for 30$ and it is the 400MHz FSB one, then by all means grab it. I reckon you might actually get a better deal on a 865P board and a proper 3.0 or 3.2 HT 800 FSB.
What's your RAM situation by the way? Is your board accepting SDRAM or DDR SDRAM? If it's the latter, are you using dual channel memory? If it is the first case, abandon ship! Pentium 4 loves memory bandwidth and was severely bottlenecked with plain SDRAM!
In terms of GPU, beware of Radeon 9700 and 9800 GPUs, a ton of them are dead or half-dead by now, which is why they are somewhat rare and expensive. X800 cards are nice, but expensive for AGP. I'd take a look at a 6800 GT from Nvidia if you are willing to spend that much money anyway.
Just as a heads up, even if you splurdged and got yourself a top of the line Northwood at 3.4 GHz, 1GB of DDR400 memory in dual channel and 6800 Ultra or X850 XT or whatever, Doom 3 would still have drops even at 1024x768! Though Halo would probably be okay... It's just the nature of PC gaming in those days.
I also concur with some of the posters here, that the hardware you are using is a bit more suited to WinXP rather than 98SE. I'd dual boot and keep 98SE at DirectX 7.0a, any higher than that and you get random crashes here and there, on top of whatever 98SE's feeling at any given moment. GPU drivers are also more mature on XP at this point, especially later Nvidia drivers are all over the place in 98SE.