Pentium Pro Socket 8 computers?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CelGen wrote:

I still need to barter with a store in Vancouver for their ALR 6x6 machine.

Those are truly cool machines. 😀

Granted, not sure how much utility they have for gaming, but they're still cool. 🤣

King_Corduroy wrote:

I did end up keeping the motherboard, the CPU and the heatsink. I also grabbed the RAM, the Graphics card, the Sound card and the Pentium Pro sticker (Which is now on my Core 2 Duo sleeper).

Sounds good - the case was in pretty rough shape (with a not unreasonable amount of work you could've probably gotten it looking nice again, but then the question is: is it worth it?). I doubt the PSU and mechanical drives were in great shape either. 😵 Curiosity: what graphics card did it have in it?

Reply 21 of 28, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Diamond Multimedia Stealth 64 Video 2001. Yeah I could have gotten the case looking good again but it's as you say not really worth the bother for me. I don't have any special feelings for Compaq computers and besides space is always a premium when you collect vintage computers. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 22 of 28, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With all that rust on the back, it looks like it was in a flood. I'm not so certain you should even try powering that on before you open it up and check everything out.

Reply 23 of 28, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I powered it up and the board and everything worked fine (Other than the usual dead CMOS and no HDD) , I'm thinking it just sat in a basement and some moisture condensated between the case and the floor.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 24 of 28, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

GL with the board. I enjoy my dual PPro W6-LI board every now and then. Running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS for giggles =)

Just a guy with a bad tinkering habit.
i5 6600k Main Rig
too many to list old school rigs

Reply 25 of 28, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

Not even sure how I would go about identifying the mobo so since I saved it and the CPU I'll take some pics of it later and post them here.

The board I referred to looks like this (not my picture):

Intel PerfAU 2.jpg

It's a funky chipset, it has so many discrete chips involved just to achieve basic functionality, that it looks like a prototype and not a real production chipset.
The port layout matches yours, though it doesn't show well in this picture. I think there's a fair number of other boards that have the same layout though.
If this is the board you have, I'd be very grateful if you can help identify a component which is missing from mine.

Reply 26 of 28, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is the Intel Performance/AU motherboard aka Aurora with the 450KX chipset. The early PPro chipsets were definitely sets of chips. It's not unlike most other chipsets of the early 90s.

Reply 27 of 28, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

That is the Intel Performance/AU motherboard aka Aurora with the 450KX chipset. The early PPro chipsets were definitely sets of chips. It's not unlike most other chipsets of the early 90s.

Perhaps, but the 430VX/TX/HX chipsets that I've seen just had a northbridge and a southbridge. It looks like the 430LX has 4 chips, so that puts it closer to the 450KX, except the KX has a separate controller chip for every SIMM slot.

Reply 28 of 28, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

450KX/GX appear to have similarities to 430LX/NX. They may have been years old in 1995. 440FX was a big improvement in integration and showed up in 96. It has features similar to 430HX. 430TX/VX are somewhat more advanced. SDRAM support and 430TX has a southbridge with UDMA33. 440LX brings these and AGP.

Though the 450 line persisted. Eventually a 450NX became the Xenon chipset.