VOGONS


Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 59860 of 59861, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on Today, 02:15:

Don’t copy that floppy.

Back when 5.25 were common my father bought 3M many times.
I loved the sliding design.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

- "One hates the specialty unobtainium parts, the other laughs in greed listing them under a ridiculous price" - kotel studios
- Bare metal ist krieg.

Reply 59861 of 59861, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on Yesterday, 13:46:

The two dead ones are dead Jim, they won’t post on any boards I have for testing, Z97, Z68, x58 and my 754 board all refuse to post with them.

I didnt bake them, not sure that would help though, open to trying weird stuff with them since they are dead.

If you have a PCI-E 1x miner riser card/board, try these video cards with that.
Sometimes on these Radeon cards when the GPU starts going bad (usually due to too high of running temperatures under load), it might loose a lane or two on the PCI-E bus. When that happens, so long as the 1x lanes are not affected, those miner riser cards will allow the video card to boot and show video. If your HD7770's work on a miner card but not otherwise on the board, then that's probably the issue - i.e. bad PCI-E bus lanes in the GPU chip. (Of course, this could also be due to bad or knocked out ceramic coupling caps on the PCI-E bus on the video card... so check those too.)

If that doesn't work, then it's baking time for the video card.
No need to actually really bake the video card, though - at least not in your oven, as that's almost as likely to damage it or ruin something else on the PCB (including melt the output connectors.) I prefer either cooking (literally) on a stovetop or using a heat gun. The former works quite well on gas burners if you raise the video card at least 5 cm above the flame. Was my GO-TO "PCB bottom heater" for years.

Trashbytes wrote on Yesterday, 13:19:

Also grabbed a couple of nice Radeon HD5770 cards too that came as a X-Fire pair and a HD7770 Ghz card, none of them have been tested yet but Terrascale 2 cards are pretty hard to kill like the Cockroaches they were born from.

I have seen plenty of dead HD5770's. They pretty much all come with undersized coolers for the GPU's TDP, regardless if they are OEM design or 3rd party design. Had they come with something like the HD4870's coolers (which is far from ideal for the HD4870's 150W TDP), they'd probably last for decades.
The HD5750 is in a similar boat. It's got the same chip as the HD5770, but slightly underclocked and with less shaders, so it only uses ~85W TDP instead of 100 Watts like the HD5770. But it too often comes with a basterdized cooler.

Nunoalex wrote on 2026-10-01, 18:59:

Look at this gorgeous beauty that came my way 😀

Soltek SL-86SPE-L

It has a PCI slot bent I hope I can put it back in place

Nice!
After reading your post last week, I also found me a Soltek board on my local flea market.
Mine's a Socket 462, though.
No bent PCI slots, but it does have bulging caps just like yours. Came with a AXP2000 CPU too.
No idea if it works or not. But for 8 Euro, it was worth it, even if will just be wall piece (if it doesn't end up working.)
Seems I had good luck that day with purple-colored PCBs, because I also got an ECS socket A board of some sort. Forgot the model number, but it's in the "waiting for repair" box ATM - has a burned RS232 chip behind the parallel port. Let's hope that's the only thing wrong with it. It was 1 Euro after all, though, so I can't complain.