VOGONS

First post, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently got a USB controller to use on my Windows 98 computers. I tired it with several games including Wipeout 2097, and it worked great!

Fast forward to today and suddenly, it’s now accelerating on its own, without my input. I’ve tested the controller with other games I had installed and it works fine on those. I even plugged it into my Linux machine and tested it with anti-micro, and there was nothing that looked out of the ordinary. Found the calibration menu on Windows 98 itself and it was fine there too.
I’ve also unplugged the controller, and it’s stopped auto-accelerating. I tried changing the button config, and still no luck, it kept accelerating by itself.

What do I do?

Reply 1 of 2, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What kind of controller? Totally guessing here, but seeing how iirc that game is from the era of digital-only pads - maybe it's a deadzone issue with an analog stick? I.e. the stick's resting position reading as being ever so slightly pushed upward, Windows config dialog showing it centered(-ish - good enough for you to not think about it) but the game expects a digital input and goes "up is up!" and accelerates?

Reply 2 of 2, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elszgensa wrote on 2024-04-28, 09:53:

What kind of controller? Totally guessing here, but seeing how iirc that game is from the era of digital-only pads - maybe it's a deadzone issue with an analog stick? I.e. the stick's resting position reading as being ever so slightly pushed upward, Windows config dialog showing it centered(-ish - good enough for you to not think about it) but the game expects a digital input and goes "up is up!" and accelerates?

It's a Nintendo 64 style controller by Tomee. I got one brand new in the box, and has never been used.

68-181-023-04.jpg

I don't have any dead-zone issues with any other games, and both tools I used to test the controller didn't show any issues with the analog stick either.
I have had issues with the Z button not being recognised, but I opened it up and cleaned the contact and it worked again. I didn't go anywhere near the analog stick when I did this, so I don't see this making any impact.