VOGONS

First post, by kaolinitedreams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Zeos 486dx2 66MHz that I have been trying to get up and running. I had to replace a lot of the parts, including getting a new hard drive/disk. I ended up getting an IDE to SD card adapter.

Problem: I formatted the SD card into FAT16 partitions of 2 gig each. Bios was able to auto detect my hard disk as 1690mb. I am able to boot to the A Drive and start MSDOS installation. MSDOS says it needs to format the unallocated space for the installation. I only have the option to proceed, in which I do. After it gets to 100%, it gives me an error message saying that "The Format of drive C is incompatible with MSDOS 6.22" OR I get the message "An error was detected while formatting your primary hard disk partition. I get the same error message with Win95. I have tried formatting to different hard drive sizes that are preset in Bios (and making sure Bios is set correctly), but I either get the same message, or that my hard disk is too small. ONCE I got past these messages to 3% installation of MSDOS, then got "An error occurred while reading or writing to drive C."

I have spent countless hours trying to screw around with drive sizes, reformatting and partitioning different SD cards to FAT ... I am at a loss. I think I am doing everything correctly to format my SD cards...but at this point I am second guessing myself. The only other thing I could possibly think is that my original IDE cable is bad (I had a bad FDD cable for my 3.5 Floppy drive in which I replaced and it ended up working with a new cable.)

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just because the BIOS detects 1690MB doesn't mean it detected it correctly, especially if you are not using a 1690MB SD.

What is the capacity of the SD that you are using?

I'd recommend trying XTide Universal BIOS or EZ Drive 9.03 http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1 … menustate=68,66

v9.03 won't try to make drives larger than 8.4GB, which is what you want for DOS 6.22.

Reply 2 of 6, by kaolinitedreams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
douglar wrote on 2024-04-28, 18:13:
Just because the BIOS detects 1690MB doesn't mean it detected it correctly, especially if you are not using a 1690MB SD. […]
Show full quote

Just because the BIOS detects 1690MB doesn't mean it detected it correctly, especially if you are not using a 1690MB SD.

What is the capacity of the SD that you are using?

I'd recommend trying XTide Universal BIOS or EZ Drive 9.03 http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1 … menustate=68,66

v9.03 won't try to make drives larger than 8.4GB, which is what you want for DOS 6.22.

I did try reformatting my sd card to 1690MB (FAT16) since that's what Bios detected. It still gave the same issues. I will look into the link you provided above and see if it helps. Thank you for your response!

Reply 3 of 6, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

TLDR ; some old IDE controllers just don't like bigger drives.

kaolinitedreams wrote on 2024-04-28, 18:06:

Problem: I formatted the SD card into FAT16 partitions of 2 gig each.

Do you mean partitioned and then formatted? In this machine or another? Using what software?

Bios was able to auto detect my hard disk as 1690mb.

What size it it actually? What brand of SD card. What brand of SD-IDE adaptor?

I am able to boot to the A Drive and start MSDOS installation. MSDOS says it needs to format the unallocated space for the installation. I only have the option to proceed, in which I do. After it gets to 100%, it gives me an error message saying that "The Format of drive C is incompatible with MSDOS 6.22" OR I get the message "An error was detected while formatting your primary hard disk partition. I get the same error message with Win95.

Boot the MS-DOS 6.22 installation floppy then exit Setup (F3). Run fdisk. Select option 4. Does what is on the scren meet with what you expected?

I have tried formatting to different hard drive sizes that are preset in Bios (and making sure Bios is set correctly)

Is the the BIOS not set to auto-detect? If not try that.If there is no auto option use IDEINFO to determine the actual reported CHS of the SD card and use those.

I have spent countless hours trying to screw around with drive sizes, reformatting and partitioning different SD cards to FAT ... I am at a loss.

Welcome to retro computing 😀

I think I am doing everything correctly to format my SD cards...but at this point I am second guessing myself. The only other thing I could possibly think is that my original IDE cable is bad (I had a bad FDD cable for my 3.5 Floppy drive in which I replaced and it ended up working with a new cable.)

Is it the orhginal IDE cable - the one that came in the machine originally? If not make sure it's not an 80 conductor cable - use a 40 conductor only.

I've had a very fussy Dell 486sx cause many problems with both CF and SD card adaptors. It only worked with an age/size appropraite IDE hard drive in the end.

I've recently had a success with an IDE->SATA adaptor and a small DOM (in a different machine).

Reply 4 of 6, by kaolinitedreams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nfraser01 wrote on 2024-04-28, 18:26:
TLDR ; some old IDE controllers just don't like bigger drives. […]
Show full quote

Problem: I formatted the SD card into FAT16 partitions of 2 gig each.

Do you mean partitioned and then formatted? In this machine or another? Using what software?

Bios was able to auto detect my hard disk as 1690mb.

What size it it actually? What brand of SD card. What brand of SD-IDE adaptor?

I am able to boot to the A Drive and start MSDOS installation. MSDOS says it needs to format the unallocated space for the installation. I only have the option to proceed, in which I do. After it gets to 100%, it gives me an error message saying that "The Format of drive C is incompatible with MSDOS 6.22" OR I get the message "An error was detected while formatting your primary hard disk partition. I get the same error message with Win95.

Boot the MS-DOS 6.22 installation floppy then exit Setup (F3). Run fdisk. Select option 4. Does what is on the scren meet with what you expected?

I have tried formatting to different hard drive sizes that are preset in Bios (and making sure Bios is set correctly)

Is the the BIOS not set to auto-detect? If not try that.If there is no auto option use IDEINFO to determine the actual reported CHS of the SD card and use those.

I have spent countless hours trying to screw around with drive sizes, reformatting and partitioning different SD cards to FAT ... I am at a loss.

Welcome to retro computing 😀

I think I am doing everything correctly to format my SD cards...but at this point I am second guessing myself. The only other thing I could possibly think is that my original IDE cable is bad (I had a bad FDD cable for my 3.5 Floppy drive in which I replaced and it ended up working with a new cable.)

Is it the orhginal IDE cable - the one that came in the machine originally? If not make sure it's not an 80 conductor cable - use a 40 conductor only.

I've had a very fussy Dell 486sx cause many problems with both CF and SD card adaptors. It only worked with an age/size appropraite IDE hard drive in the end.

I've recently had a success with an IDE->SATA adaptor and a small DOM (in a different machine).

Thank you for commenting! Here are some answers to your questions:
1. I popped in my SD card into my laptop using Windows 10. I tried doing one SD card partitioning, then Formatting to FAT16, with the part disk using cmd, etc. With another SD card, I tried using Disk Management partitioning, then formatting to FAT16.

2. With one of the SD cards, it was 32gig. Another SD card was 2gig. The brand is San Disk, and the IDE adapter was off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/KOOBOOK-1Pcs-40Pin-Ada … /dp/B07YFPX7JB/

3. I have not tried that, but I will most definitely. I am really a newbie when it comes to this, and I couldn't figure out how to get to FDISK to try it.

4. I did try the Bios auto detect several times (it worked and found the drive sizes), but with each time, it still gave those error messages above. I did try one Bios hard drive preset, and it didn't work either.

5. 🤣. Yep. I expected it. The statement gave me a good chuckle.

6. It is the original cable that came with the machine. It does look pinched from being in close quarters with the old CDROM drive. If I can't get this all sorted out, I might be in the same boat as you were with your old fussy machine and get an NOS IDE hard drive.

I appreciate all your input and questions into this matter. 😄

Reply 5 of 6, by kaolinitedreams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nfraser01 wrote on 2024-04-28, 18:26:

I ran FDISK. It says my partition has 1912MB, FAT16, and it's primary DOS. Not sure what Status A means, or Usage at 100%. However, upon exiting FDISK, I was able to get past the disk errors and get to 3% MSDOS installation (again) and it gave me a read/write error. (See attached pics.) I got to this once before and the same thing happened with another formatted SD Card.

Attachments

Reply 6 of 6, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Stop using other machines to partition and format the cards.
You need to do it all on the target machine - use auto-detect in the BIOS, boot with a floppy and use fdisk to remove whatever partitions are there and create a new one. Then format it with the /S option to make it bootable.