VOGONS

First post, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could say that I'm a bit of a fan of the classic Lian Li cases from the early-to-mid 2000s. So much so that I've ended up with 8 of their silver aluminium cases (plus a 9th spare) and I've just about finished building them into complete systems. I've gone with fairly well balanced specs, initially trying to recreate systems I had back in the day but also building some systems just for fun, or to scratch itches I couldn't scratch at the time. It's been a blast so far, each system is great and using them for LAN parties has been just such a wonderful trip down memory lane with my friends 😀

Anyway, I put together a short video yesterday summarising all the builds. Please have a quick watch, and if it's well received I'd like to do some more content like this, probably looking at each build and case in a bit more detail with some games, that sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WIdkPYxxtw

Attachments

Reply 2 of 7, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shadzilla wrote on 2024-04-29, 07:55:

You could say that I'm a bit of a fan of the classic Lian Li cases from the early-to-mid 2000s. So much so that I've ended up with 8 of their silver aluminium cases (plus a 9th spare) and I've just about finished building them into complete systems. I've gone with fairly well balanced specs, initially trying to recreate systems I had back in the day but also building some systems just for fun, or to scratch itches I couldn't scratch at the time. It's been a blast so far, each system is great and using them for LAN parties has been just such a wonderful trip down memory lane with my friends 😀

Anyway, I put together a short video yesterday summarising all the builds. Please have a quick watch, and if it's well received I'd like to do some more content like this, probably looking at each build and case in a bit more detail with some games, that sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WIdkPYxxtw

What a fantastic collection. If only I could afford a GeForce 256.

Out of curiosity, why are you running the 1400 Thunderbird at 1200? I have the exact same motherboard and CPU.

Reply 3 of 7, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Errius wrote on 2024-04-29, 10:21:

I have 10 Cooler Master cases but nothing by Lian Li. Brand loyalty is a funny thing.

It is indeed, and especially when we form those kind of associations at a young age they can really stick with you. CM were first to the all aluminium case market of course and those early ones are really really nice.

zuldan wrote on 2024-04-29, 10:26:

What a fantastic collection. If only I could afford a GeForce 256.

Out of curiosity, why are you running the 1400 Thunderbird at 1200? I have the exact same motherboard and CPU.

Thank you! So the T'Bird at 1200, it's just purely to fit in with what I had at the time as I try to re-create those old systems. Back then I had a 1000MHz chip that was overclocked to 1200 (it was actually from this bundle with a KT7-RAID - https://web.archive.org/web/20001212040600/ht … Bundles_29.html).

Reply 4 of 7, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well Done !!!

I like your selection.
On the first look they are all looking the same as multiple twins.... especially the first five.

Your thunderbird looking really nice.
About the Asus A7V133.
The little VRM board which is soldered 90° is really special.
The only thing i would be concerned is to replace old cap's from there. I think you'll need to solder the VRM board off the mainboard for the procedure.

By the way, i have a 1200MHz, FSB 100 system with a little slower VGA card.
Today, there is a Riva TNT2 pro installed. But i have the option to switch temporary to Geforce 2 MX to Geforce 2 Ti.

2nd rebuilt chieftec: my 2nd type of a time-machine?

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 5 of 7, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice collection!

Funny thing, I've never even seen a Lian-Li case in person, and I remember when they were super popular back in the day. Probably just a bit too pricey for the people in my area. 😁

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.