VOGONS

First post, by cuco81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I recently acquired a STB Voodoo2 black magic 12mb and have been testing it in prep to upgrade my win98 retro rig currently equipped with a diamond monster voodoo.

Card works fine and installs with no issue but when I try to play a glide game I see a lot of pink textures. Games I tried so far are Tomb Raider and Descent 2. When playing the same games with my diamond voodoo, the pink textures on the v2 are shown correctly as dark blues/grays. Any suggestions on what to diagnose are welcomed.

Things I've tried so far:
1) delete/reinstall windows drivers.
2) same thing happens on a pure dos setup
3) checked color output voltages on the ramdac chip. All show 1.3-1.4 volts which seems within spec.

Attachments

• 1000004207_20.jpg
    Filename
    1000004207_20.jpg
    File size
    109.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 6, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So if I understand correctly you've installed two Voodoo cards from different generations, right?

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 6, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cuco81 wrote on 2024-05-01, 22:38:
Hello, I recently acquired a STB Voodoo2 black magic 12mb and have been testing it in prep to upgrade my win98 retro rig current […]
Show full quote

Hello, I recently acquired a STB Voodoo2 black magic 12mb and have been testing it in prep to upgrade my win98 retro rig currently equipped with a diamond monster voodoo.

Card works fine and installs with no issue but when I try to play a glide game I see a lot of pink textures. Games I tried so far are Tomb Raider and Descent 2. When playing the same games with my diamond voodoo, the pink textures on the v2 are shown correctly as dark blues/grays. Any suggestions on what to diagnose are welcomed.

3) checked color output voltages on the ramdac chip. All show 1.3-1.4 volts which seems within spec.

Try making a batch file and running this before you start the game to make sure if you already dont have this:

SET SST_GRXCLK=90
SET SST_FT_CLK_DEL=0x4
SET SST_TF0_CLK_DEL=0x6
SET SST_TF1_CLK_DEL=0x6
SET SST_VIN_CLKDEL=0x1
SET SST_VOUT_CLKDEL=0x0
SET SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2
SET SST_SCREENREFRESH=60
SET SSTV2_FASTMEM=1
SET SSTV2_FASTPCIRD=1
SET FX_GLIDE_ALLOC_COLOR=3

Reply 3 of 6, by cuco81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shagittarius wrote on 2024-05-02, 17:04:
Try making a batch file and running this before you start the game to make sure if you already dont have this: […]
Show full quote
cuco81 wrote on 2024-05-01, 22:38:
Hello, I recently acquired a STB Voodoo2 black magic 12mb and have been testing it in prep to upgrade my win98 retro rig current […]
Show full quote

Try making a batch file and running this before you start the game to make sure if you already dont have this:

SET SST_GRXCLK=90
SET SST_FT_CLK_DEL=0x4
SET SST_TF0_CLK_DEL=0x6
SET SST_TF1_CLK_DEL=0x6
SET SST_VIN_CLKDEL=0x1
SET SST_VOUT_CLKDEL=0x0
SET SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2
SET SST_SCREENREFRESH=60
SET SSTV2_FASTMEM=1
SET SSTV2_FASTPCIRD=1
SET FX_GLIDE_ALLOC_COLOR=3

I've tried that but still get the pink/reddish textures. I'm going to check if there are any loose soldered pins in the card.

Reply 4 of 6, by smola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It looks like missing green color in rgb on stb v2. Check inductors between vga and dac. Use 3dfx test tools to display colors for v2 and diagnose. Do not trust regular viewers coz video will be handled by main 2d card. You may try unplug problematic card and measure resistance on each rgb pins on vga and on both sides of inductors after gendac. There should be ~75om on each line. I suppose green will be open line due broken inductor.

my repairs: mobo index :: vga index :: requests

Reply 5 of 6, by cuco81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
smola wrote on 2024-05-03, 13:32:

It looks like missing green color in rgb on stb v2. Check inductors between vga and dac. Use 3dfx test tools to display colors for v2 and diagnose. Do not trust regular viewers coz video will be handled by main 2d card. You may try unplug problematic card and measure resistance on each rgb pins on vga and on both sides of inductors after gendac. There should be ~75om on each line. I suppose green will be open line due broken inductor.

I've measured the rgb pins, they seem to ge good interms of voltage but will check the resistance as you mentioned. I did discover some loose pins in the FMU. would'nt be a bad idea to reflow the solder on each pin.....not an easy feat though, they are so small.